How well-defined is the trail to Ypsilon? (Chapin Creek)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dark Helmet
14ers: 7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

How well-defined is the trail to Ypsilon? (Chapin Creek)

Post by Dark Helmet »

I'm planning to do Chaquita and Ypsilon in september... solo (because I'm an idiot).

How well defined and delineated is the trail on these? my most colossal fear while hiking is getting lost...

I'm still very much a novice skill wise, physically I'm fine (run 25-35 miles per week, among other things)

I did Twin Sisters, Chasm Lake, and Pikes Peak via Barr Trail last year... but all of those trails were very well defined. Twin sisters was heavily overcast and raining/snowing, and I almost lost the trail a couple times about a mile up (fog), and then picking out cairns was sketchy with the visibility... I was solo on that one, and it kinda freaked me out a little.

Ypsilon is more isolated, and my fear is going in as a noob and not knowing if the signs/markers/trail are easy to follow.

info/advise/admonishments?

(flame suit ready, but not putting it on just yet)
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: How well-defined is the trail to Ypsilon? (Chapin Creek)

Post by dpage »

It's pretty obvious where you want to go on the way out. A trail leads to the base of Chaquita. From the summit you can see Ypsilon but would be walking over nice stable talus. On the way back you don't have to reclimb Chaquita unless you just want to and can follow a faint trail in the general direction you want to travel. Choose a good weather day as almost everything is above treeline from the Chapin Creek TH and you should have no problem.
Dark Helmet
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dark Helmet »

excellent, thanks... praying for clear skies! I'd like to be at the base of Chaquita by sun-up, so that should work nicely.
hskrhiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hskrhiker »

I would like to add two thoughts:

1. When you start down Ypsilon go back toward the saddle between Ypsilon and Chaquita as opposed to going straight down. I made this mistake several years ago and the walking the further down you go is much worse.

2. As you are going down Ypsilon you will see a trail lower in the valley than the one you came in on. This is a much easier trail and ultimately meets up with the higher trail.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

It's pretty much all above treeline as well, so the general direction of travel is very straightforward and easily visible.

If you know any basic map and compass navigation, this route is nearly impossible to get lost on. The only way I could see someone getting lost is if he/she is going for the full Mummy Kill and has to bail to the west because of a storm.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
Dark Helmet
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dark Helmet »

again... many thanks. I'm not awesome with a map and compass, but I have "good" natural sense of direction and have 10 weeks to figure the rest out!

are you able to skip Mt Chapin's ascent and just go up chaquita or not?

I've got about 4hrs to do this hike from car to car... soooooooo, yeah.
hskrhiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hskrhiker »

Yes, you only summit Chapin if you want to. Essentially, once you clear the trees you walk on the side of Chapin on your way over to Chaquita.
Dark Helmet
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dark Helmet »

PERFECT...

~7.5-8mi round-trip, sooooo, 4hrs?

leave the cabin at 5:30, TH at 6, ~1.5hrs to base of chaquita, an 45mins for each summit, and an hour back down...

these two plus MLW a couple days later should make for a solid trip.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

Depending on when in September you are coming, Fall River Road may not be open. If this is the
case, you can drive to the Alpine Visitor Center on Trail Ridge Road, and hike down to the Chapin
Pass TH on Fall River Road. This will leave you with some uphill at the end of the day.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Dark Helmet wrote:...

these two plus MLW a couple days later should make for a solid trip.
Yup! You'll have a great time some wonderful peaks!
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
Dark Helmet
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dark Helmet »

DaveLanders wrote:Depending on when in September you are coming, Fall River Road may not be open. If this is the
case, you can drive to the Alpine Visitor Center on Trail Ridge Road, and hike down to the Chapin
Pass TH on Fall River Road. This will leave you with some uphill at the end of the day.

18th of Sept... it was still open last year on the 24th, so i'm cautiously optimistic.

if not... flattop/hallett.
TK
14ers: 17 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TK »

As of a few weeks ago, Old Fall River Road was closed to pedestrians due to the active construction work. You should check with the park before driving up. There may not even be an option of walking down from the Alpine Visitor Center.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells