Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Susan Joy Paul's new book!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Susan Joy Paul's new book!

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:51 pm

Susan, I'll be picking up a copy at first opportunity. Will you be doing any signings in Denver Metro?
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby scottfarish » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:47 pm

My 3 girls are just getting to hiking age. This will be the perfect start for them! Just ordered my copy on Amazon today... thanks, Susan!

Postby MtnHub » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:20 pm

Very cool, Susan!

Is that the Ribbon Falls below Black Lake on the cover?

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:36 pm

Boudreaux, I visited Booth Creek Falls in March 2012, and it was frozen solid - so no Red Lanterns - but it was beautiful nonetheless, and I will have to go back when it's flowing, and to check out the wild flowers, too. There was a lot of avalanche debris across the trail, which kind of surprised me. Funny, someone just mentioned that avalanche chute in a thread about Outpost Peak.

Thanks Mark, for being an inspiration! I remembered you (and Tory Wells, too) in the Acknowledgments this time. Please let us all know when you will be doing another 14er presentation - I keep missing them!

Hi Ian. First of all, thanks for all your help with the first book! I'm pretty sure I remembered to get your name into the Acknowledgments on that one. I don't have any book signings set up yet, and haven't really been pursuing them. Like the rest of you, I've been taking advantage of this gorgeous weather and trying to get outside every free minute! Will probably do something like that later in the year, though, or next spring at the latest. I will definitely let you know, though. Would love to meet you, and the wife, too.

Thanks Doctor No, Mindy, and Benners. I need to get out and hike with you guys one of these fine days. Or at least drink some beers, and talk about getting out, hiking with you guys. Ben, you really earned this break :-)

Scott, I think that's great. Kids seem to be a lot more interested in hiking when there's a destination involved, and there are few places as scenic as the waterfall trails of Colorado. Good for you, for getting them out there to enjoy it all.

Yes, MtnHub, it's Ribbon Falls alrighty! That's a great hike for waterfalls - although I had to do it three times, due to (1st attempt) the November 2011 wind storm that closed roads and trails in RMNP, (2nd attempt) crossing frozen Jewel Lake and Mills Lake on snowshoes, because the trail around the lakes was buried in several feet of snow, (3rd attempt) success! Frozen waterfalls are wonderful - when you can actually find them!

Thanks zdero1. I do hope I add enough value to this site to offset the shameless self-promotion. One aspect of writing guidebooks that is seldom discussed is the intense isolation. You don't write a book surrounded by people: You do it sitting alone quietly at your computer, with your notes, and your photos, and your tracks, waypoints, and memories. The majority of the research - whether it's online, at the library, or on the trail - is done solo, as well. Visiting forums like this one might be the only social interaction a writer sees for days at a time, and the final weeks leading up to the deadline are intense, scrambling to finish those last chapters, and so the isolation intensifies.

I turned this book in to my publisher last September 1st, so the final week of writing it coincided with "Homie's Wild Odyssey" on this site. Taking occasional breaks to follow his mad dash through the mountains was a welcome diversion for me, amidst all the mind-splitting, never-ending, peace, quiet, and solitude. I spent a year on it, and - as weird as it sounds - spent more time with the folks on this site, albeit virtually, than with anyone else during that time. So I'm extremely pleased to know that some of you will be enjoying the book, too. I may not have mentioned it, but you guys made it a lot easier to finish: You were right there with me the whole time.

Kenton: I am putting "upload photos" on my list-o-things-to-do this weekend. I promise. Just been kind of busy... ...writing another book. :-D

Postby Fisching » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:01 pm

zdero1 wrote:Finally, an author who doesn't pop on the site solely to promote a book. :)
I wish you much success, Susan!

No kidding. She's doing it all wrong and sucking out any entertainment for the rest of us.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby Jay521 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:02 am

My copy arrived last week and now I just GOTTA go to Guffey Falls! A good old fashioned swimmin' hole if there ever was one. Thanks for writing this one, Susan - it will keep me busy for quite some time.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Postby RyanSchilling » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:25 pm

Got mine on order. Cool topic, Susan!

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:54 pm

Thanks Jay. I visited Guffey Falls twice and had the whole place to myself both times... and a friend of mine went last week and said it was *packed* with soakers and cliff divers. Ack. I guess it's all about the timing - hope you get a quiet day, like I did!

Ryan, I got the idea when I was visiting all those hot springs in Pagosa Springs (for my first book), and writing the "Area Highlights" sections for those chapters. I was astounded by the number of waterfalls in the southwest part of the state - *almost* rivaled Rocky Mountain National Park. Some of my favorite hikes, like the one to Fourmile Falls, are located near Pagosa.

I was reading the "Lost Summer" thread this morning, and can really relate to how painful it can be to survive a peakless season - especially when you're hiking within sight of so many of them! On the other hand, there's a lot of beauty to be had in Colorado, that we sometimes miss while focused on the peaks. I hiked up to Willow Lake three times to get peaks, and only noticed all the waterfalls on that trail the fourth time, when I was actually looking for them - and *not* hitting the trail at zero-dark-thirty :-D

It is nice to finally get some summits again, though!

Postby globreal » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:23 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:On the other hand, there's a lot of beauty to be had in Colorado, that we sometimes miss while focused on the peaks.

I actually am hoping to do more of this type of outdoor activity after completing the Centennials. i.e.: (hiking the four pass loop, camping at lakes, hiking to waterfalls, visiting hot springs, and maybe hiking the hut-to-hut system.) It will be interesting to see if the high peaks call me back, or if I'll be able to stay in and enjoy the lower terrain!
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby EZSide » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:32 am

I have been a waterfall connoisseur in WI for many years. [Yes, WI has waterfalls .... including Big Manitou - which at 165' - makes it fourth highest east of out west.]

I have my copy and am looking forward to relaxing and enjoying it. Beta such as this is essential for those of us who have limited time to just explore a region. When I'm westward bound again the 'off-days' will certainly be graced with better outings.

Thanks.

Bill
"There are times when the most complicated actions are suddenly summed up, distilled, and strike you with illuminating clarity" - Maurice Herzog

Postby fahixson » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:26 pm

Got my copy today (had to wait a few extra days as Tattered Cover Colfax was sold out).

Susan, any stroller friendly waterfall recommendations? With two boys under two and a rehabbing Achilles, we're hopeful waterfall hikes might replace summits in the short term. The youngest isn't quite ready to ride in a backpack yet, so we'd need a stroller to make it a family affair. It is all wheel drive and has good clearance!

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:35 pm

I got a first look at this book yesterday at REI, and within two minutes I knew I had to buy it. Nicely done, Susan! This is a great complement to all my summit-oriented guidebooks.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

PreviousNext