Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Car camping-Silverton-Lake?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Car camping-Silverton-Lake?

Postby mtngoat » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:49 am

Taking a group trip to the Silverton area. I'll have my 5 yr old with me so no backpacking this time. Any ideas on a camping spot near a lake? I'd love to pull some trout out for dinner.
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.

Re: Car camping-Silverton-Lake?

Postby gonzalj » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:55 am

Google molas lake campground. You have to pay for campspots, but it is about 10 miles south of Silverton with absolutely spectacular views. The walk-in campspots are all you need.

Postby Eph 2 5 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:02 pm

Little Molas Lake and a campground is a little further to the south of Molas Lake, just before you get to Molas Pass. There aren't a lot of camping spots, though. Mineral Creek campground is a few miles north of Silverton. There's no lake right next to the campground, but Mineral Creek is right there.

Postby mtngoat » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:33 pm

Thanks! I will take a look!
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.

Postby mtngoat » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:37 pm

So I'd like to stay away from RVs. Is Little Molas lake a better option or will I encounter them there as well?
-Dave

Postby tdliles » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:46 am

We "camped" in our truck at the Colorado Trail trailhead just past Little Molas campground this past weekend. It was a madhouse (thus sleeping in the truck was great, restroom right there, etc etc). As to the campground, very few RVs. It's a bit rustic and looked like not that many good, big sites for RVs. Also several dispersed sites in the trees on the CT TH side of the campground. So I think it would be a good tent camp when not the 4th!
Tom and Stef