Harvard/Columbia Traverse

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Project Ralphie
14ers: 30 
13ers: 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Harvard/Columbia Traverse

Post by Project Ralphie »

Considering the Harvard/Columbia traverse early tomorrow morning (Sun. June 23). Harvard to the summit via standard looks good, and Columbia seemed good with packed snow a few weeks ago, but does anyone have any beta on the traverse and/or an update on Columbia downclimb via the standard route?

Thanks.
argothor
14ers: 33 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Harvard/Columbia Traverse

Post by argothor »

I am planning on doing Harvard and Columbia from Frenchman's Creek, and was wondering if anyone has descended off of Columbia back to Frenchmen's Creek and if so what kind of terrain should I expect? Talus? Boulders? Gentle alpine walk?

Also, what is the road like like to the 10,300' Frenchmen's Creek trailhead? And is there any camping spots near that trailhead?
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

I loathe that traverse. You neither climb nor descend it - you just slide in whatever direction you're going. Here's a link to my TR. Not the best, but Rob and I both hated it, and Rob liked everything:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the traverse pictures will give you some idea as to the crap involved.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

There are current conditions reports, including one of mine.

http://14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatus_pe ... eakparm=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The descent on Columbia via the standard route sucks in my opinion. It's steep, slippery marbles. You can't really get hurt (might fall backwards on your hands), but you won't have fun descending, otherwise. Beyond that, the traverse was a really fun long day. On of my better mountain experiences so far, that's for sure.
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

My buddy and I just did Columbia a couple weeks via the standard route. I remember thinking going into it, "It can't be that bad."

It is. It is a rotten, crappy mountain. There were boulders, rocks, sand and other hellish crap falling down the side of the mountain all day. Now, the approach trail is actually a nice trail, but the climber's trail is the worst I've experienced so far.

I also remember looking over at the traverse thinking it just looked awful and I mean dreadful. I'm glad I decided to split them up.
El Scooter
14ers: 58 
13ers: 81
Trip Reports (0)

Post by El Scooter »

I just had a friend who completed this traverse last weekend - she loathed it as well. I don't believe she encountered any issues with snow.

Years ago I got about a quarter of the way through the traverse (from Harvard to Columbia) and had to bail because of a huge storm that came in.

Columbia (via the regular route) pretty much sucks - but Harvard is a fun mountain.
goingup
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 295 1 4
Trip Reports (33)

Post by goingup »

We are headed to do exactly this right now. Up the west slopes of Columbia and then over to Harvard and then down the standard Harvard route. Awesome to hear the pile of suck I am headed into :wft:
through being cool
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

IMHO, the best way to climb Columbia/Harvard is from Frenchman Creek. Just sayin'.....
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
ulvetano
14ers: 58  9  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Post by ulvetano »

And to answer the question about Frenchman, you can pick a meandering line from Columbias summit that avoids the talus and it mostly grass-rock mixed slopes. Avoid a direct line and stay low in the traverse and you can find decent conditions.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

There had been a lot of downed timber across the Frenchman Creek trail about a year ago. Has anyone been up it recently who can let everyone know if the trail has been cleared? Thanks!
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Mtnman200 wrote:There had been a lot of downed timber across the Frenchman Creek trail about a year ago. Has anyone been up it recently who can let everyone know if the trail has been cleared? Thanks!
Can't give you an update from this year but when I did it almost exactly a year ago it only slowed us down maybe 30min or so to get past all the trees along the way. They had cleared it to a 1/4 mile past the CT junction. I don't know if they've cleared it more since then. Probably.

I would call the NF office and ask them if no one else can update.

Last TR for Harvard via Frenchman is I Man's in winter and he didn't mention a bunch of downed trees along the trail.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
fakejox
14ers: 58  2  13 
13ers: 43 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fakejox »

MountainMedic wrote:I loathe that traverse. You neither climb nor descend it - you just slide in whatever direction you're going. Here's a link to my TR. Not the best, but Rob and I both hated it, and Rob liked everything:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the traverse pictures will give you some idea as to the crap involved.
I concur. Did the traverse last summer--a mess of sloppy sliding on loose talus. As a sidenote, my girlfriend and I had to bail in the latter half of the traverse due to a thunderstorm. We descended into the drainage formed by Harvard and Columbia to the west (which contains Frenchman Creek) and encountered the worst deadfall I've ever seen. We eventually navigated this nearly impassible section to the CT and looped our way back to the car at the main trailhead. Anyway, I'd recommend avoiding this area if possible. Mega-frustrating and not an experience you want to share with a friend/significant other!
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart." -- Camus