Injured hiker rescued from Wilson Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
robby40
14ers: 6 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Injured hiker rescued from Wilson Peak

Post by robby40 »

Helicopter rescues New Mexico man with broken ankle

http://www.telluridenews.com/articles/2 ... 984096.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by robby40 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Headline: Injured hiker rescued from Wilson Peak

Post by MonGoose »

Man, rough week in the Wilson Group. :(

From the article:
"Masters estimated that the helicopter rescue mission cost at least $5,000. He said Kedge did not have a Colorado Outdoor Recreation Search and Rescue card."

Everyone who hikes in CO should have a CORSAR card.
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/DO ... 1592090523
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

Just a note with the COSAR card -- I agree, it's cheap as dirt and everyone should have one ($3 per year, $12 for 5 years). However, it doesn't cover air evacuations but it does cover the cost of air-based search.
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
JenGa
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JenGa »

Wow - really glad that both these hikers are okay. A friend and I are hiking the Wilson group next month. I just purchased a 5-year CORSAR card for the $12. Totally worth it to support SAR.
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Injured hiker rescued from Wilson Peak

Post by edhaman »

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but everything I've been told about the CORSAR card is that it does not "cover" any cost that might be charged to the card holder being rescued. It is simply proof of having made a contribution to search and rescue teams. In other words, someone with a card does not receive any services that someone without the card would also receive; someone with a card is not charged any less than someone without the card.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

True. It helps SAR recover their costs if you have one. If you never need rescue, it's a donation to the fund. Most organizations don't charge for rescues either way as a matter of policy - they don't want you delaying your 911 call because you might get charged for it.

OTOH, you will get charged for a helicopter evac in some cases, but health insurance will usually cover it (like an ambulance).
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
jwinters
13ers: 153 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jwinters »

Anybody know if this type of rescue would be covered by the American Alpine Club insurance that comes with their membership?
JenGa
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JenGa »

The AAC membership ($75 annual) does provide up to $5000 in rescue costs, along with other cool stuff like 20% off Patagonia online shopping.

http://americanalpineclub.org/p/global_rescue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like the CORSAR because it helps the SAR recoup their funds.
mtnview
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mtnview »

It would be interesting to know more details and what type of footwear he was using, low cuts or hiking boots.

Or if that even mattered due to the type of fall.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lutefisk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lutefisk »

COSAR card will cover the cost of aircraft/helicopter search and the rescue, not the subsequent aero medical evacuation.
It might re-imburse the a portion of the response or search by a medevac, but you're rolling the dice.

Several Sheriff's Offices and Natl Parks will, might or reserve the right to bill. Many SAR groups object and say billing will delay the call for help. Everyone gets an opinion, but most people don't hesitate to call an ambulance because they'll be billed. Whatever, responsible back country users will have a COSAR card. While not an insurance policy, did does permit County Sheriff's to seek reimbursement from the fund created by card sales. Responsible Sheriff's Offices and their SAR teams need to actively promote and assist in the sale of COSAR cards. Unfortunately, many people and groups blab incorrect information about billing or no billing. The bottom line is the Sheriff has the authority and responsibility for SAR in Colorado, excepting Natl Parks and a couple other exceptions. To obtain accurate information on any billing liability, talk to the Sheriff of that particular county...and the answer will vary across the state. All agencies I know of that "bill" are only billing for the aviation portion of the bill.
In this period of shrinking County budgets, I suspect increased pressure will be placed on the SAR victim to pay for the extraordinary portion of their rescue....and that almost always means the helicopter bill.

25' fall, light boots AIR, 500' lower (125 rock, rest snow) to LZ. Rescue helo with ambulance transfer at Tride Airport. NO COSAR CARD! Helo bill estimated 5-7000. Thanks if any of you helped. And thanks if you stopped your ascent/descent to control rock fall.

Please have a COSAR card and encourage all to get one. Forget the one year, get a 5 yr for twelve bucks....
shrunk plus circle.jpg
shrunk plus circle.jpg (180.1 KiB) Viewed 3423 times
Sterl
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sterl »

This is the first I've heard of COSAR cards... Learn something new everyday about this state... Thanks for the info. Sounds like a no brainer when you think about what it supports...
"Climbing on a mountain, floating out on the sea
Far from lights of a city, the elements they speak to me..."
1/2 Full - Pearl Jam
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

That's a helluva place to stop for lunch.
please rotate your device