Gannett Peak 2013

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
texaseagle16
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (5)

Gannett Peak 2013

Post by texaseagle16 »

Has anyone made an attempt up Gannett Peak in Wyoming yet this summer? I wanted to know of any conditions up on the glacier, like snowpack and the bergshrund. I am planning a mid July trip with my wife up Glacier Trail, so any input who be very much appreciated, thanks!

-Richard
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Gannett Peak 2013

Post by ChrisinAZ »

I don't have any firsthand info from this year, but it looks like the snowpack is deeper up there right now than this time last year, when I was there (in a low snow year). My guess is that mid-July will be about the ideal time to hit Gannett this year, but be prepared for at least a snowbridge at the 'schrund, and possibly a few small crevasses, just to be safe.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Also be prepared for INSANE mosquitos in the Winds in July. I mean, hiking with a head net and full coverage.
Hoot
14ers: 58 
13ers: 150
Trip Reports (36)

Post by Hoot »

I was headed up there to climb Gannett from Titcomb Basin this week, but sprained my ankle badly a few days ago and won't be doing any 40-mile hikes soon. I got a very favorable conditions report from Fred at the Great Outdoors Shop in Pinedale (307-367-2440) last Thursday. My friends should be on the summit this Friday so I should have a first hand report on Monday.

Hoot
texaseagle16
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by texaseagle16 »

Thanks Hoot, I'll give Fred a call before heading up that way. Let me know the report from your friends up there this week. I heard it was a deeper snowpack this year meaning the bergshrund should be closed up and able to walk over. Mid July last year a snow bridge was still over it, so that is a good sign at least, thanks Chris!
Crestoner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Crestoner »

Richard:

Hoot's friend here... We did not summit Gannett last week. But, the conditions up there are ideal: Bonney Pass a snow climb (~30-35 deg pitch), bergschrund no problem (from what we heard from successful climbers), snowy route most of the way on the mountain. I visited the Great Outdoors Shop on Tuesday, and got great beta from Brandon.

The skeeters up there are world class! I thought I would need a transfusion after a night at Elkland Lake. However, as you ascend into Titcomb Basin from Island Lake, they taper off and nearly disappear. We camped above the upper lake in the basin...only saw a few slow mosquitoes. We got a LOT of rain and hail up there. Temperatures were mild...the low at camp was ~45 deg F. But that made for some sloppy snow on Bonney Pass...

Attached is photo taken Thursday morning, from Bonney Pass. Note the trackway on the left, leading up to the summit ridge.
Attachments
DSC00133b.jpg
DSC00133b.jpg (263.13 KiB) Viewed 2596 times
Crestoner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Crestoner »

Here's a shot of Bonney Pass.
Attachments
BonneyPass.jpg
BonneyPass.jpg (335.16 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
Amosite
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Amosite »

The bergshrund is starting to peek through and the summit ridge is alittle hairy. Other than that conditions are incredible right now.

Apex
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Apex »

Thanks for sharing the photos and thoughts all.

Amosite - How was the snow above the berg? Any ice? Did you use any prot?