Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fremont Peak ~ Wind Rivers

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
User avatar
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:10 am
Location: Owatonna, Minnesota

Fremont Peak ~ Wind Rivers

Postby caad4rep » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:35 pm

Just wondering if anyone here has climbed Fremont Peak up in the Wind Rivers? I'm coming from MN and have been planning on doing the Crestones in a few weeks but while searching for a Plan B due to fires I've stumbled upon the Wind River range. They look spectacular! I'm particularly curious about Fremont peak and possibly some other nearby peaks that could be done from the same camp. Fremont looks like an awesome Class 3 climb, is the climb similar to any of the class 3/4 14ers?

From what I've read it looks like Indian basis is the best spot to set up a base camp, if I do a two day approach where would a good spot be for camp 1?

Any other tips or ideas? Is it as cool as the pictures make it look?

Does anyone know what the current snow conditions are like? Would it be doable in a couple weeks without an axe and crampons?

User avatar
Posts: 2284
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Lakewood, CO

Re: Fremont Peak ~ Wind Rivers

Postby rijaca » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:46 pm

caad4rep wrote: Just wondering if anyone here has climbed Fremont Peak up in the Wind Rivers? I'm coming from MN and have been planning on doing the Crestones in a few weeks but while searching for a Plan B due to fires I've stumbled upon the Wind River range. They look spectacular! I'm particularly curious about Fremont peak and possibly some other nearby peaks that could be done from the same camp. Fremont looks like an awesome Class 3 climb, is the climb similar to any of the class 3/4 14ers?


Yes. Yes, class 3. Jackson Peak can be done from the same camp.

caad4rep wrote: From what I've read it looks like Indian basis is the best spot to set up a base camp, if I do a two day approach where would a good spot be for camp 1?


Seneca Lake. Near the south end (about .5 mile off the trail).

caad4rep wrote: Any other tips or ideas? Is it as cool as the pictures make it look?


Bring fishing rods, lots of mosquito repellent. Yes.

caad4rep wrote: Does anyone know what the current snow conditions are like? Would it be doable in a couple weeks without an axe and crampons?


Don't know.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

User avatar
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:24 pm
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: Fremont Peak ~ Wind Rivers

Postby James Dziezynski » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:53 pm

Yes, in fact my dog is named after Fremont Peak (he's a rescue pup from Wyoming). I've done it from the north from the Sacagawea Glaicer as a moderate snow climb, 'twas super fun. You can also get it from Titcomb Lakes on the west side as a class 3 walk up. Really nice peak and I love the Winds.
Check out my book Best Summit Hikes in Colorado at http://amzn.to/WKkWOH

User avatar
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:22 am
Location: Louisville, CO

Re: Fremont Peak ~ Wind Rivers

Postby spiderman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:07 pm

It certainly is as cool as the pictures make it look. List of John is showing 5 ft of snow up high in the Winds. Definitely bring an axe and I would personally bring crampons although I haven't been up Fremont. The mountains are just too big and too remote to take any chances.

There are great camping spots all along the way. We had a good location near the end of a box canyon right before reaching Seneca lake. The surrounding walls provided decent protection from the elements. Seneca Lake is a reasonable distance from Elkhart.
Attachments
Winds.jpg
Winds in May
Winds.jpg (144.7 KiB) Viewed 238 times

User avatar
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:10 am
Location: Owatonna, Minnesota

Re: Fremont Peak ~ Wind Rivers

Postby caad4rep » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks for all the feedback! I need to do a little research on the conditions, I'm not sure that my climbing partner will be up to doing snow work... Looks like an awesome place that I definitely need to get to.

User avatar
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Fayetteville, AR

Re: Fremont Peak ~ Wind Rivers

Postby Kent McLemore » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:23 pm

caad4rep wrote:From what I've read it looks like Indian basis is the best spot to set up a base camp, if I do a two day approach where would a good spot be for camp 1?


Can't go wrong there. Fremont Peak is a super fun climb and spectacularly scenic. I camped at Island Lake the first night:
569084.jpg
569084.jpg (63.27 KiB) Viewed 189 times


Then to Indian Basin:
img_1113.jpg
img_1113.jpg (237.73 KiB) Viewed 189 times


After the slog to the saddle that connects Indian and Titcomb Basins, the rock on Fremont is excellent. (note the climber on the horizon):
img_1148.jpg
img_1148.jpg (254.37 KiB) Viewed 189 times


Have fun in the Winds!
"Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." - John Muir

User avatar
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:10 am
Location: Owatonna, Minnesota

Re: Fremont Peak ~ Wind Rivers

Postby caad4rep » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:17 am

Awesome shots Kent! What time of year were you out there?

User avatar
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Fayetteville, AR

Re: Fremont Peak ~ Wind Rivers

Postby Kent McLemore » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:39 am

caad4rep wrote:Awesome shots Kent! What time of year were you out there?

Late August. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I have a lot more photos of the area if you're interested.
"Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." - John Muir

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests