Nanga Parbat Climbers Killed by Taliban

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Nanga Parbat Climbers Killed by Taliban

Post by jomagam »

Scott P wrote: More Muslims live in the forest of Southeast Asia than anywhere else, not in the desert. That was the point. Obviously they don't all look alike, but they are certainly more likely to look like the above than an Arab riding a camel (which is how they are often portrayed as in the West). Obviously you missed the point.
Those are still a laughably bad stereotypes. 60% of Muslims do live in SE Asia and only 15% of Muslims are Arabs, but they mostly live in cities or villages. Ever been to Jakarta ?
Gabriel
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gabriel »

Hacksaw wrote:There are better places in the world to go climbing then over there.
There are not better paces to go climbing. The Karakoram in Pakistan is tops.

G
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Gabriel wrote:
Hacksaw wrote:There are better places in the world to go climbing then over there.

G
Maybe he meant better as in safer? *shrug*
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Ever been to Jakarta ?
Yes. The photo of the swingset is from a palm oil plantation just west of Jakarta. The last photo with the elephant was also taken in a village (Sumatra). I took those photographs.
but they mostly live in cities or villages.
Indonesia, where Jakarta is located has about half the population rural and half urban. It has the largest islamic population in the word.

2nd largest Islamic population by country is Pakistan which is about 2/3 rural by population.

Next largest is India which is about 3/4 rural.

Next largest is Bangledesh which is also around 3/4 rural by population.

Although many Muslims live in places like Jakarta, far more Muslims in Southeast Asia live in rural areas than urban areas such as Jakarta (Kuala Lumpur, Medan, Dhaka, etc.).

To turn the question around, have you ever been to the rural areas of Indonesia or only Jakarta? Or have you even been there at all? Most of them live in rural areas.

PS, you are missing the whole point. The point was that most of them live outside the Middle East where most of the violence takes place. Most of them live in Southeast Asia and have never see a camel.

(I also have plenty of photos of Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, and Medan as well, but didn't have them on hand and pulled these off my FB account).
Maybe he meant better as in safer?
The mountain they were climbing has a death rate of 22.3%. I would bet the chances of the mountain killing are greater than that of a person killing you on Nanga Parbat. Of course I'd much rather be killed by the mountain though.

I would like to go to the Karakorum some day, but not now.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
rmd
14ers: 24 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rmd »

lordhelmut wrote:Anyone have a WSJ online login?

edit - huffington post, but its free - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/2 ... 84986.html

This is why climbing in the states is so much more fun...

edit again - "in retaliation for US drone attacks" - yet none of the climbers killed were Americans. Assclowns.
If you copy and paste the title of the article into google, you can read it without logging in. (It also works for the New York Times.)
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Gabriel wrote:
The mountains that interest me most in the world are in the Karokoram and i imagine this incident won't deter that interest....for now.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
14RBND
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14RBND »

The following link pretty much sums up the problems with the radical groups that hate you and I and will kill you in their quest to bring their religious beliefs to world dominance.. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... odern.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; #-o