1st Annual Steve Gladbach Memorial Hike

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Which of these weekends would you be able to attend?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:47 am

September 21-22
20%
September 28-29
20%
October 5-6
37%
October 12-13
23%

Total votes: 119
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Re: 1st Annual Steve Gladbach Memorial Hike

Post by ameristrat »

Any date works for me. Please let me know if I can do anything to help / organize!
dmccool
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dmccool »

I'll be there any of these weekends...rain/snow/shine
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

Fletch wrote:I'd be interested in going up over S Elbert and meeting you all at the summit... Any thoughts?
Yeah, my thought is I would be up for that.
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

I'm in for any of those dates (Rain, Snow, or Shine as DMCCOOL said), so I won't vote unless something changes in my schedule.

Is there any plan of a minimum suggested donation, or will it be open on a "pay what you can, if you can" basis?
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

I think it ought to be borderline mandatory. If you don't set the precedent, this thing will die in years to come. It doesn't have to be much but if we're trying to raise some money for a good cause, I don't think there's anything wrong with making it strongly encouraged at the very least.
smoove
14ers: 44  11 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smoove »

I'd like to join you. I still haven't met too many folks on this forum in person. Elbert just happens to be the first of only two mountains I was lucky enough to meet Steve on. Any of the dates sound doable to me. The S. Elbert option sounds like a good one.

Mike
14erAddict
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 181 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erAddict »

Any dates work for me as well :)
"In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks" - John Muir
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

anna wrote:
aboynamedmargrette wrote:Is there any plan of a minimum suggested donation, or will it be open on a "pay what you can, if you can" basis?
Undecided yet. At some point down the road, I will likely put a poll up to let the community decide. I believe there should be a minimum donation, even if it's not much. I'm currently thinking between $5-$25, but I'll let the group decide when the time is appropriate. Too soon to be going into those kinds of details.
Sounds good. I guessed it might be too early to know details yet, but figured I'd plant the seed if it hadn't already been discussed. Community poll idea sounds perfect.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Just throwing it out there because the timeframe is the same and the usual organizer, KeithK, suggested it -- what about replacing the Fall Gathering with this hike, even if it's only for 2013? Steve was a staple at the Gatherings and it might lead to an even bigger turnout for a fundraising event.

I don't think an entry fee is necessary. People will donate by the bucketload for this. There's no need to give anyone a reason to feel alienated.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

anna wrote:
Fletch wrote:Anna - Would it help to split up the groups and go up different routes? I'd be interested in going up over S Elbert and meeting you all at the summit... Any thoughts?
Yes, as we get closer, we can start to sort out groups and routes. There are at least 4 main routes: NE Ridge (from North Mt. Elbert TH), E Ridge (South Mt. Elbert THs), SE Ridge (Black Cloud TH), and SW Ridge (Echo Canyon TH) and there are multiple variations of many of those routes. I'll be looking at TH capacity and contacting local officials as appropriate once we have a date sorted out.
Anna, sounds great.

I also agree we may want to set a mimimum donation. This is a great cause, and hey...given how much we all spend on our gear, gas, food, and a car on a regular basis to get us to each peak, I think a minimum of like $25 really shouldn't be an issue to help others just like Steve did.

Just my 2 cents.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Terrific idea ! Elbert is a great choice, as it is within the abilities of both his daughters (Alise and Linda). Perhaps if their hearts have healed enough, their mother (Nona) could accompany them to the summit. Nona is quite the accomplished climber herself.....a very kind hearted soul, much like Steve.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

SurfNTurf wrote:Just throwing it out there because the timeframe is the same and the usual organizer, KeithK, suggested it -- what about replacing the Fall Gathering with this hike, even if it's only for 2013? Steve was a staple at the Gatherings and it might lead to an even bigger turnout for a fundraising event.

I don't think an entry fee is necessary. People will donate by the bucketload for this. There's no need to give anyone a reason to feel alienated.
I like both of those ideas!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs