Nanga Parbat Climbers Killed by Taliban

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
14RBND
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Nanga Parbat Climbers Killed by Taliban

Post by 14RBND »

Taliban Killing of 10 Climbers Shakes Camps. This mountaineering thing is really getting to be a lot more dangerous than before. I guess you need to wear bullet resistant vests now under your parkas. I heard that there was really only one passable road in and out of this region to get into these base camps. I guess the local law enforcement officials dropped the ball AGAIN and let the murderous crew escape to boast of their achievements.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 52496.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Mountaineering experience is that monumental thing that allows us to understand our mistakes when we make them more than once"
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Re: Nanga Parbat Climbers Killed by Taliban

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Allahu snackbar
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Anyone have a WSJ online login?

edit - huffington post, but its free - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/2 ... 84986.html

This is why climbing in the states is so much more fun...

edit again - "in retaliation for US drone attacks" - yet none of the climbers killed were Americans. Assclowns.
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

lordhelmut wrote:edit again - "in retaliation for US drone attacks" - yet none of the climbers killed were Americans. Assclowns.
Nothing says "Hey, rest of the world...you guys should make the U.S. stop using drones" like killing a bunch of "geo-politically" irrelevant climbers. RIP to the victims.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
RamanDestroyer
14ers: 26  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RamanDestroyer »

Truly, a pathetic action committed by misguided zealots fighting a war they cannot win conventionally... Like the Western nations are going to call off anything because of a few dead hikers. I say more drones, s**t; paint them up to look like storm troopers with swastikas or something else evil on them. F#<K the Taliban.
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/nanga- ... /108207384" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty good insight from what looks to be a pretty educated climber that has been to (or near) the area in question. Tragic.
Kevo
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Kevo »

RamanDestroyer wrote:Truly, a pathetic action committed by misguided zealots fighting a war they cannot win conventionally... Like the Western nations are going to call off anything because of a few dead hikers. I say more drones, s**t; paint them up to look like storm troopers with swastikas or something else evil on them. F#<K the Taliban.
If only things were so black and white.

What happened was terrible. By no means are the murders at Nanga Parbat justified, but I'm sure there would be plenty of pissed off Americans if some foreign power was killing Americans by shooting missiles from drones at 50,000 feet. Even more so if there were often civilian casualties, and there have been plenty of civilian casualties in the US drone warfare campaigns over Pakistan. If you poke a hornets nest enough times, the hornets are going to get pissed off and start stinging whatever is nearby.

It certainly doesn't help that the people being killed happen to culturally subscribe to the idea of eye for an eye honor killings and that there are rumors that the government of Pakistan allows the drone strikes to happen in exchange for having the US target lists of "internal enemies" that Pakistan provides.

The whole situation is terrible. I'd love to climb in Pakistan. I've been right up against the border and looked into the Karakorum from the Nubra Valley. I really hope that the situation there improves, and without getting too political, I just don't see how drone strikes will do anything to promote US national security or goodwill for those who would like to peacefully travel in Pakistan.
RamanDestroyer
14ers: 26  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RamanDestroyer »

Kevo wrote:
RamanDestroyer wrote:Truly, a pathetic action committed by misguided zealots fighting a war they cannot win conventionally... Like the Western nations are going to call off anything because of a few dead hikers. I say more drones, s**t; paint them up to look like storm troopers with swastikas or something else evil on them. F#<K the Taliban.
If only things were so black and white.

What happened was terrible. By no means are the murders at Nanga Parbat justified, but I'm sure there would be plenty of pissed off Americans if some foreign power was killing Americans by shooting missiles from drones at 50,000 feet. Even more so if there were often civilian casualties, and there have been plenty of civilian casualties in the US drone warfare campaigns over Pakistan. If you poke a hornets nest enough times, the hornets are going to get pissed off and start stinging whatever is nearby.

It certainly doesn't help that the people being killed happen to culturally subscribe to the idea of eye for an eye honor killings and that there are rumors that the government of Pakistan allows the drone strikes to happen in exchange for having the US target lists of "internal enemies" that Pakistan provides.

The whole situation is terrible. I'd love to climb in Pakistan. I've been right up against the border and looked into the Karakorum from the Nubra Valley. I really hope that the situation there improves, and without getting too political, I just don't see how drone strikes will do anything to promote US national security or goodwill for those who would like to peacefully travel in Pakistan.
You're right man, its not black and white: there are way too many variables and even more gray area. Your comment made me think of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WXtUrPcrB4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously, it's sad. But it makes me feel better for some reason. As long as there are differences between us, there will be those who will desire to hurt one another in fanatical/corporate/geo-political schemes in which they gain or violently repay some past transgression. This, is the world we live in; and I'd gladly accept this than some sort of global conformity. And this, is why I'd bring weapons to a place hostile to me. Life is short, I'll be goddamned if anyone is going to end mine before I end theirs. Sorry you're suffering, I don't give a s**t... I just wanna climb. If you don't like it, get out of my way or try and stop me. Or, even better, get access to a book instead of an imam, expand your consciousness and come climb with me.

Jesse,
X-82nd Airborne Infantry Grunt
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

RamanDestroyer wrote: Obviously, it's sad. But it makes me feel better for some reason. As long as there are differences between us, there will be those who will desire to hurt one another in fanatical/corporate/geo-political schemes in which they gain or violently repay some past transgression. This, is the world we live in; and I'd gladly accept this than some sort of global conformity. And this, is why I'd bring weapons to a place hostile to me. Life is short, I'll be goddamned if anyone is going to end mine before I end theirs. Sorry you're suffering, I don't give a s**t... I just wanna climb. If you don't like it, get out of my way or try and stop me. Or, even better, get access to a book instead of an imam, expand your consciousness and come climb with me.
Huh ? Watching too many Rambo movies lately ? Fortunately cultural differences don't mean that you automatically want to kill the other. And having a weapon doesn't mean that you're safe. BTW how do you take your awesome gun to Pakistan ?
14RBND
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14RBND »

In a really big checked bag of course!! :lol:
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

Not to get in the middle of this, but my post (directing you to mountainproject.com) added a little more insight to the situation, check it out... The deceased were practicing a hindu religious service (puja)in a very non tolerant part of Pakistan (and flying a Nepalese flag). There were other climbers around and they were the ones gunned down. In my opinion, this was the contributing factor that lead to the outcome and not U.S drone attacks. Once again, nobody knows but that does make more sense (to me) than attacking random people that have nothing to do with US policy.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

jomagam wrote:
RamanDestroyer wrote: Fortunately cultural differences don't mean that you automatically want to kill the other.
Well yeah, not for civilized folks like me and you. But I can promise you there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people that want you dead just because you're not a Muslim...and an American.

jomagam wrote: And having a weapon doesn't mean that you're safe.
Certainly increases my odds, wouldn't you say?