Steve Gladbach's FINAL Summit

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Re: Steve Gladbach's FINAL Summit

Post by globreal »

anna wrote: If there's not a fundraising attempt in progress, I'd be willing to get the ball rolling. I was also thinking that at some point down the road, we, as a community, might want to consider organizing an annual memorial climb. We could consider charging a small participation fee and use the funds generated to fund scholarship(s) for community members to use for mountaineering training (ex: avy level 1 class, first aid/cpr) or to hire instructors to teach group classes. I don't want to step on anyone's toes if something's already in the works.
Anna, I spoke with Nona Gladbach today and she would LOVE to have a Steve Gladbach Memorial Fund for mountaineering training.

I am in the process of setting up the fund with their credit union. Details coming soon.

If you would like to "get the ball rolling" for some sort of annual (spring, fall or winter) gathering, as well as the "group class(es)" please take it and run as there will be a fund with funds soon.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

I like the idea that's brewing....Steve would be proud.

And Britt, I beg to differ about that being his final summit. He's going to be by your side, my side, and EVERYONE'S side on every mountain we step foot on, for the rest of our lives. Steve lives on through us.

PS....I'll see you soon.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Some thought might be given to the establishment of anything involving Steve through the CMC.

http://www.cmc.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (noting they are currently posting notice of his passing on their website and that he was a life-member).

The CMC is an existing organization that would probably ease the formation of any type of memorial, including such things as the availability of liability insurance, existing mountaineering classes, etc. Somebody who knew Steve and is a CMC member perhaps should get involved to explore the possibilities that involve the CMC. While the involvement of the CMC might seem exclusionary, the likelihood of the longevity of the memorial is increased due to the organizational stability of the CMC. Anything involving just the Internet community will probably be fleeting.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Thank you for posting this, Britt. What stunning photos. In addition to donating to the two funds being set up, I'd encourage contributions to Mountain Rescue Aspen. It's a first-class organization full of wonderful, selfless souls. I don't have much to offer, unfortunately, but I plan on setting aside what I can for all three funds.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Thank you Britt. This cannot be easy for you, but it's much appreciated by us all.

And yes, would love to contribute/participate in any funds and training that are established in Steve's name.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
Bodacious
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bodacious »

Thank you. And, I'm in.
"To travel, to experience and learn: that is to live."
- Tenzing Norgay
Kevo
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Kevo »

Thanks everyone.

I'd like to contribute to a memorial fund.

It sounds like Steve had some life insurance in place, which hopefully will provide support for his family. If it is appropriate, I'd also be glad to contribute to an education fund for Steve's daughters.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

anna wrote:
globreal wrote:
anna wrote: If there's not a fundraising attempt in progress, I'd be willing to get the ball rolling. I was also thinking that at some point down the road, we, as a community, might want to consider organizing an annual memorial climb. We could consider charging a small participation fee and use the funds generated to fund scholarship(s) for community members to use for mountaineering training (ex: avy level 1 class, first aid/cpr) or to hire instructors to teach group classes. I don't want to step on anyone's toes if something's already in the works.
Anna, I spoke with Nona Gladbach today and she would LOVE to have a Steve Gladbach Memorial Fund for mountaineering training.

I am in the process of setting up the fund with their credit union. Details coming soon.

If you would like to "get the ball rolling" for some sort of annual (spring, fall or winter) gathering, as well as the "group class(es)" please take it and run as there will be a fund with funds soon.
Great. Thanks for contacting Nona. Consider it done.
Wonderful idea Anna! Count me in!
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

SurfNTurf wrote:Thank you for posting this, Britt. What stunning photos. In addition to donating to the two funds being set up, I'd encourage contributions to Mountain Rescue Aspen. It's a first-class organization full of wonderful, selfless souls. I don't have much to offer, unfortunately, but I plan on setting aside what I can for all three funds.
+1
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
BaristaLady
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BaristaLady »

Steve's friends are putting together a scrapbook for his two daughters, Linda and Alise. Can you please submit any stories you have from climbing with Steve. Send them to brittanyjacobs0731@gmail.com. THANKS!
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

The outpouring of support, generosity, and camaraderie at such a difficult conjuncture is simply amazing. While I still lose my composure multiple times throughout the day, I find it incredibly heartwarming how many people, touched by Steve's giving personality, are paying it forward.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
Rock-a-Fella
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rock-a-Fella »

Fisching wrote:The outpouring of support, generosity, and camaraderie at such a difficult conjuncture is simply amazing. While I still lose my composure multiple times throughout the day, I find it incredibly heartwarming how many people, touched by Steve's giving personality, are paying it forward.
Thanks, Greg for articulating that for me as well. I did not have the pleasure of meeting Steve but feel I have always known him in my heart!