Steve Gladbach's FINAL Summit

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
maverick_manley
14ers: 58  10  40 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (66)

Re: Steve Gladbach's FINAL Summit

Post by maverick_manley »

globreal wrote:
maverick_manley wrote:I will miss seeing that bright Orange hat and that brighter smile in the mountains, on my winter ascents... but his memory will continue to brighten my days. RIP Steve.
Prakash...he wore them both on his final day!

Thanks. It is now my wallpaper at work. This may be a separate topic but is there an effort to raise funds for the family?
My Brain Stops at Treeline but my Soles will Summit
Kevo
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Kevo »

maverick_manley wrote:
globreal wrote:
maverick_manley wrote:I will miss seeing that bright Orange hat and that brighter smile in the mountains, on my winter ascents... but his memory will continue to brighten my days. RIP Steve.
Prakash...he wore them both on his final day!

Thanks. It is now my wallpaper at work. This may be a separate topic but is there an effort to raise funds for the family?
I'd also be interested to know.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Everything posted here is so moving and surreal. Praying for everyone who knew Steve, his family and those that were there with him doing what he loved most during his final days.
anna wrote: I was also thinking that at some point down the road, we, as a community, might want to consider organizing an annual memorial climb. We could consider charging a small participation fee and use the funds generated to fund scholarship(s) for community members to use for mountaineering training (ex: avy level 1 class, first aid/cpr).
Love the idea. I would be happy to try and help with this.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

kushrocks wrote:Everything posted here is so moving and surreal. Praying for everyone who knew Steve, his family and those that were there with him doing what he loved most during his final days.
anna wrote: I was also thinking that at some point down the road, we, as a community, might want to consider organizing an annual memorial climb. We could consider charging a small participation fee and use the funds generated to fund scholarship(s) for community members to use for mountaineering training (ex: avy level 1 class, first aid/cpr).
Love the idea. I would be happy to try and help with this.
I second the lovin' the idea! Count me in on planning and coordinating if need be, too!
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

anna wrote:If there's not a fundraising attempt in progress, I'd be willing to get the ball rolling. I was also thinking that at some point down the road, we, as a community, might want to consider organizing an annual memorial climb. We could consider charging a small participation fee and use the funds generated to fund scholarship(s) for community members to use for mountaineering training (ex: avy level 1 class, first aid/cpr). I don't want to step on anyone's toes if something's already in the works.
I can't say I'd be much good in organizing anything, but I would absolutely donate to climb in an annual memorial hike. Using the funds to help folks get educated on this stuff sounds EXACTLY like something he would want to be remembered by. Excellent idea =D>
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
Kevo
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Kevo »

Another thing to consider might be a scholarship fund for Steve's daughters. Does anyone who was close with Steve know if he had life insurance and/or 529s in place for his daughters?
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

I would love to participate to raise funds for the family.
Scotzman
14ers: 14  1 
13ers: 7 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Scotzman »

anna wrote:If there's not a fundraising attempt in progress, I'd be willing to get the ball rolling. I was also thinking that at some point down the road, we, as a community, might want to consider organizing an annual memorial climb. We could consider charging a small participation fee and use the funds generated to fund scholarship(s) for community members to use for mountaineering training (ex: avy level 1 class, first aid/cpr). I don't want to step on anyone's toes if something's already in the works.
I'm in, was thinking about the same idea.
Scotzman
Every man dies, not every man really lives.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Mountainspirit »

"We see your smile in each new morning sun

Your laughter flows from the rushing stream

The sound of your footsteps follows us
On a mountain path in the rustling of the leaves

In the quiet of softly falling snow, we are warmed
By happy memories of you.

Memories are forever."

Quote is from a stone carving along the "Five senses trail in Beaver Creek.

By the way, I would be honored to contribute to any worthy cause that has Steve's name with it. Grace & peace my friends.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Thanks, Britt! It is both hard and yet beautiful to view! My thoughts and prayers go to the family, but also to you. It must have been very difficult for you being there and feeling so helpless.

Thanks also to Anna. I think some sort of memorial fund by the community of climbers is a wonderful idea!

And now that we are entering the summer season with increased numbers of climbers, everyone, please be safe!
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Mountainspirit wrote:"We see your smile in each new morning sun

Your laughter flows from the rushing stream

The sound of your footsteps follows us
On a mountain path in the rustling of the leaves

In the quiet of softly falling snow, we are warmed
By happy memories of you.

Memories are forever."

Quote is from a stone carving along the "Five senses trail in Beaver Creek.
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

Mary Elizabeth Frye
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

Kevo wrote:Another thing to consider might be a scholarship fund for Steve's daughters. Does anyone who was close with Steve know if he had life insurance and/or 529s in place for his daughters?
One of his threads from 2009. No idea if he ever got it done, but he was on the path to get it started.

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ce#p222625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?