Mt. Whitney Fri 6/28

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
epacalicious
14ers: 58  1  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Whitney Fri 6/28

Post by epacalicious »

Is anyone interested in joining me to hike Mt Whitney on this Friday, 6/28? I have a day permit for 2 and my buddy who was going to join sprained his ankle...

Shoot me a PM and we can synchronize watches.
Mountains are the means, the man is the end. The goal is not to reach the tops of mountains, but to improve the man ~ Walter Bonatti
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Mt. Whitney Fri 6/28

Post by nyker »

epacalicious, how did your Whitney climb go?
epacalicious
14ers: 58  1  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by epacalicious »

California is a whole different animal! I tried to climb Williamson over the first 2 days I was out there, starting at 6'000 TH elevation, hiking in 10 miles through blazing heat to camp in the basin... I picked the wrong gully to go up, and it got a little too technical for my comfort. Opted to bail out and make it out in one piece

I met up with anthony156 to do Whitney, and was glad to have a partner. This kid lives in San Diego and could have run circles around me in his Vibram 5 finger shoes. Exhausted after my 20 miles over the last 2 days, we took the standard route, which is a straightforward 11 mile walk-up. Met up with some good people on the summit, and one guy showed us the route to bag Mt Muir on the way down. Muir is a fun class 3/4 scramble, without a soul on top...
Mountains are the means, the man is the end. The goal is not to reach the tops of mountains, but to improve the man ~ Walter Bonatti
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Great, good to hear. Yea, the routes in the Sierras are a bit different than in CO.