Need suggestion for mulitple 14ers on consecutive days

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mtnbird
Trip Reports (0)

Need suggestion for mulitple 14ers on consecutive days

Post by Mtnbird »

I am attempting Rainier this summer with my husband and his dad. We have been out hiking 14ers with 40+ pound packs just about every weekend. We are looking for a training trip suggestion where we could do a backpack base camp and then do one 14er on one day and then a second one on the second day (instead of attempting two 14ers in a single day). We have already done Harvard and Columbia in this way a few years ago and also Sunlight, Eolus and Windom. Missouri and then Belford/Oxford looks like a possibility from Missouri Gulch though we have already done Belford and Oxford via this route and were hoping to hike new peaks if at all possible. Finding something with a good spot for a base camp with a water source is necessary. Thanks!
Muskie5280
14ers: 31 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Need suggestion for mulitple 14ers on consecutive days

Post by Muskie5280 »

From South Colony Lakes you can access Humboldt and The Crestones from there. Plenty of perfect camping spots there as well.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Blanca, Ellingwood, and Little Bear from Como Lake.
Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn from Matterhorn Creek.
Antero and Tabeguache from Browns Creek.
Mount Wilson and Wilson Peak from Navajo Lake.
Maroon Bells and Pyramid from Crater Lake.
If you widen your options to 13ers the choices are almost endless.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
nungunz
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nungunz »

Good luck on Rainer. I'm out here for the summer and have been keeping my eye on that mountain since I've gotten here. Sadly, I probably won't be making a summit attempt at it.

Good luck to you!
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Great suggestions so far. In addition to Missouri, Belford, and Oxford, you can access La Plata and Huron from the Missouri Gulch area, as well as multiple 13ers (Hope, Emerald, Iowa, Three Apostles...). I also know from experience it is a great place to camp. And if you want to shower, Leadville has pay showers ($5), as do the hot springs nearby in Buena Vista.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Mtnbird
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mtnbird »

Wow! Thanks for all the great suggestions. They are much appreciated.

nungunz wrote:Good luck on Rainer. I'm out here for the summer and have been keeping my eye on that mountain since I've gotten here. Sadly, I probably won't be making a summit attempt at it.

Good luck to you!
Thanks! We are very excited for Rainier, though I must admit that carrying a 40-45 pound pack up 14ers week after week is getting old. With our big packs, we get a lot of inquisitive looks and questions about where we are camping:) Our usual mode is to pare down our pack weights as much as possible, so it is sort of fun to toss in a bunch of luxury items because we have to make our loads heavier for a change. Still, I am longing for the days when I can travel light again.