Easier Gore peaks or passes/saddles?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Easier Gore peaks or passes/saddles?

Post by PaliKona »

I've climbed Buffalo and Red Peak..are there other Gore Peaks that have easier approaches and climbs (class 2 max) than most of the gnarly peaks there, that are reasonable day hikes? Any from the Piney Lake area? I would like to get up high and take in some of the ridiculously beautiful views of this amazing range but don't have the skills or stamina to take on an epic.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Easier Gore peaks or passes/saddles?

Post by TravelingMatt »

Snow Peak (13045) and Grand Traverse Peak (13041) are both Class 2 via Deluge Lake. Snow has looseish scree and Deluge is steep but mostly grassy.

I suspect there's a Class 2 way to do North Traverse by itself via Bighorn Creek.

The Vista/Solitude/Climbers Point trio can be done with only moderate scrambling down low if you go up Vista first and backtrack over the ridge from the subsequent peaks.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Deming Peak is a good one on the Meadow Creek Trail, although you will have to either follow ridge from Buffalo Pass or pick a line up the east slopes. I think all the peaks from Piney Lake are beyond class 2. But T-matt mentioned a few that are good on Pitkin Creek, with Pt 12,710 at the head of the east fork and Pk X (13,085) just beyond that from a pass, that one may be class 3. Uneva Peak from Vail Pass is another good one!

Piney River: I think pts 12,709 & 12,626 might fit in there too, just north above Piney River trail before you get to Kneeknocker Pass. Maybe called Corner Mountain(s), Pt 11,825 south of the river at the head of the ridge above the lake to the right may be good, but a bushwhack for sure. And I know will have a great view of the Ripsaw Ridge. I never climbed any of these, but they are in close proximity to where you want to go!
Ragin Cajun
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

TravelingMatt wrote:The Vista/Solitude/Climbers Point trio can be done with only moderate scrambling down low if you go up Vista first and backtrack over the ridge from the subsequent peaks.
I don't think you would really have to go much beyond class 2+ for this group.
Here's a couple of TR's for those, the first is solely for Climbers Pt and Solitude, the second has the XYZ & Z Prime tour w/Solitude tour at the end of the report:
In Search of Solitude
&
Ridge Runs in the Gore
boudreaux wrote:Piney River: I think pts 12,709 & 12,626 might fit in there too, just north above Piney River trail before you get to Kneeknocker Pass. Maybe called Corner Mountain(s), Pt 11,825 south of the river at the head of the ridge above the lake to the right may be good, but a bushwhack for sure. And I know will have a great view of the Ripsaw Ridge. I never climbed any of these, but they are in close proximity to where you want to go!
These peaks that boudreaux mentions do have great views of surrounding peaks (e.g., Eagles Nest -> Powell; Pk C and gang), but the route I used was beyond class 2+, although there might be that kind of terrain available for an ascent. Route finding would be key.
Corner of the Gore

A late summer or early fall season hike of Powell from Kneeknocker could probably go at class 2+ once the snow is gone on the N side of the aforementioned pass.

Pk H from Piney could be kept at class 2+ easy, with some route finding and knowing where and what slope to go up. That's another nice peak with cool perspectives on the range.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

d_baker wrote:
TravelingMatt wrote:The Vista/Solitude/Climbers Point trio can be done with only moderate scrambling down low if you go up Vista first and backtrack over the ridge from the subsequent peaks.
I don't think you would really have to go much beyond class 2+ for this group.
I did the combo last year in early December and was chasing my available daylight. I went down Climbers Point the fastest safe way I could find, which involved a short small Class 3 slot gully.

I recall the first few hundred feet after leaving the trail had some steep bits through mixed grass and willows but nothing particularly loose or exposed.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

I personally felt that Powell (from Piney Lake) and North Traverse (from Bighorn Creek), while tough, are reasonable day hikes. As far as class, the north ridge of NT has some 2+ but nothing rougher. Powell doesn't go above 2, although going up and over Kneeknocker Pass is annoying scree and gravel.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Meridian Peak is a good one with very scenic views:

http://www.summitpost.org/meridian-peak/152486" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not a rugged peak, but the views of the rugged peaks around it are really good. Both times we did it we saw lots of wildlife as well.

It's 12 mile round trip, but never steep and always gentle since you start up high and walk the ridge. A good trail reaches the top and there is no scrambling.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Interesting TRs.
I'm looking at Corner Peak or Pt. 12,626’ but wondering if there's an easy way to keep it class 2. Also, what would the route be up Powell, other than from Kneeknocker Pass?
What is the approx. distance on the Piney Lake Trail to turn off for Corner/Pt. 12,626'?
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

PaliKona wrote:Interesting TRs.
I'm looking at Corner Peak or Pt. 12,626’ but wondering if there's an easy way to keep it class 2. Also, what would the route be up Powell, other than from Kneeknocker Pass?
What is the approx. distance on the Piney Lake Trail to turn off for Corner/Pt. 12,626'?
If you're looking to do this any time soon, I'd hold off on Powell. Chicago Transplant went over Kneeknocker last weekend and there is still a ton of snow and a cornice to negotiate. There is a mellow (looking) couloir going up Powell from near the saddle with E. Corner. I don't know anyone who's climbed it but it looks like fun. PM if you're interested as I have pictures at home. I believe Keifer and Chicago Transplant climbed the ridge direct from Kneeknocker Pass years ago and I think they reported class 3.

Corners are VERY fun snow climbs, Chicago Transplant and I did a loop of all them + Meridian a few Junes ago and it's still my favorite day trip I've ever taken - albeit a very tough 14 hour day. I would imagine you could keep NW Corner class 2 by following our descent route which was descending from the peaks to the west and we picked up the spur trail coming off Piney to the north - it's well marked on the Piney Trail. If I remember correctly, the ridge between NW Corner and Corner was easy class 3. Corner to E. Corner would be tough - we dropped all the way to 11,600 and had another snow climb (our second 1k+ couloir of the day - hence why it was so fun)

Other peaks to look into that are class 1/2 are:

Outpost (best done in winter by the south ridge IMO) but it is a Roach Classic: http://climb.mountains.com/Classic_Peak ... post.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bald Mountain (again, best done in winter) http://www.summitpost.org/bald-mountain/153718" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Deming Mountain via Meadow Creek/Eccles Pass (Eccles Peak could also be added from the pass)
Silverthorne is class 2. East Thorn is a Class 4 subpeak and looks menacing from the town below. http://www.summitpost.org/mount-silvert ... -bm/611620" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

You can start up Powell before you get to Kneeknocker and follow some grass ramps/ledges until you can get to a break in the ridge, cross it, and pick up the upper standard route and avoid kneeknockers snow and keep it 2+/easy 3. Kiefer and I picked up the ridge somewhere along there as the ridge right out of the pass is harder. We ended up going down one of the gullies Floyd mentions as a possible snow climb, it was a loose mess dry.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

Powell is one of my most coveted peaks right now, but I'm going to hold off until it melts out a bit more. That said, what is the best approach for Eagles Nest? I'm just dying to get my Gore feet wet. I've got a couple of trips into the Gores planned and want to get started soon.

Also, I've seen some varying opinion on the class of Peak C. Is it 4 or 3? I thought I saw somewhere that the downclimb of the class 4 wall can be bypassed on decent, too, is that correct?

So many questions, so little time ...

Go get it
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

That said, what is the best approach for Eagles Nest?
Probably Cataract Lake/South Ridge (at least if "best" means easiest):

http://www.summitpost.org/cataract-lake ... ute/160648" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is probably the easiest route. The East Ridge is more rugged and the Elliot Ridge is longer. I haven't done the Piney Lake route, but it is probably harder than the Cataract Lake/South Ridge route.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.