Camping at greys and quandry

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ldub
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (1)

Camping at greys and quandry

Post by Ldub »

I'm doing a trip up there with a group of 5 on July 5-7 so I'm looking for some good places to camp. Is there a lot of room for camp sites at either trail head? How hard will it be to get a spot (how early do I need to get there)? What are the restrooms like at Greys and are there any at Quandry?

If camping at the trail head is not the best option, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance, any help is much appreciated.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Camping at greys and quandry

Post by justiner »

Grays: None at Winter TH, Some dispersed at Summer TH + random dispersed ones between - basically little slots in the road. Be careful of private property. So... 4th of July Weekend basically? I would assume there's going to be a ton of people. Basic pit toilet at the Summer TH.

Quandary, dispersed campsites a little ways up the standard, East Face TH, there's a porta-potty at the trailhead. Some dispersed campsites a little ways up the Blue Lakes Road
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

Grays TH has the standard would-rather-take-a-dump-behind-a-tree-o-let, and some campsites. Both might fill up pretty quick on that weekend, though.
Tim A
14ers: 28  3 
13ers: 51 1
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Tim A »

Not sure about the current camping situation in Stevens Gulch, but I slept in my car at the 2wd lit last week without issue, and there's a restroom near the parking lot at the trailhead.

I had planned on camping near Quandary as well during my trip but there were signs both at the trailhead and in McCullough Gulch which said 'no camping.' The closest places I could find dispersed camping were south at Hoosier Pass (some sites a few hundred yards in on the road) and to the north at Crystal Creek (just south of Breck). That being said, I don't think car-camping in any of the Quandary lots would be a problem, and there is a porta-potty in the overflow parking lot.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Tim A wrote:I had planned on camping near Quandary as well during my trip but there were signs both at the trailhead and in McCullough Gulch which said 'no camping.' The closest places I could find dispersed camping were south at Hoosier Pass (some sites a few hundred yards in on the road) and to the north at Crystal Creek (just south of Breck). That being said, I don't think car-camping in any of the Quandary lots would be a problem, and there is a porta-potty in the overflow parking lot.
Form the condition of that crapper earlier this week, the term overflow lot is appropriate.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
lowlandnerd
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by lowlandnerd »

I was at Gray's last year the weekend before the 4th and the toilet was so bad someone locked the Men's and only men with death wishes would go into the Women's. The camp sites, although extremely primitive were great. Stayed an extra night, the glow off Kelso was spectacular from my hammock.