Sneffels conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TMac19
Trip Reports (0)

Sneffels conditions

Post by TMac19 »

We're heading to Colorado and want to climb Sneffels next weekend and are looking for current conditions via the standard route. If anyone is climbing before then and can update, it would be appreciated. Pics if possible. The last update was 6/11 and it sounded like there was still considerable snow.
cambo
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Sneffels conditions

Post by cambo »

Climbed it this past Sunday 6/16. Upper Col was full of snow - good and firm on the way up before the sun hit it about 9 AM, slushy-on-firm on the way down about 10 AM. Would have been better had we descended earlier. Ice axe and crampons were a must, in my opinion. It could be totally different now - we had had a few days of cloudy/rainy cool before we went. I posted a trip report...
To win without fighting is best.
-Sun Tzu
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sneffels conditions

Post by Tortoise1 »

I heard that there's still quite a bit of snow and ice in the gully, as of this morning. I would think you'll be in pretty good shape a week from now.