Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Longs Peak and Yankee Boy bassin last minute camping spots

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Longs Peak and Yankee Boy bassin last minute camping spots

Postby adthevenet » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi everyone,

Myself and 2 friends are planning to fly to Colorado the 29th of June and do a whole bunch of peaks that week. It seems we won't have nay issues for Elbert, Mt Wilson, and The Maroon Bells (I booked a camping spot in Aspen), but I am a bit worried for Longs Peak and Mt Sneffels.

We are planning to climb Longs Peak as soon as we arrive (Sunday the 30th) so no way we will get camping at the parking lot. We will be using bivy bags and no tents to be fast and discreet. I saw a camping spot about a mile west away from the trailhead, is this usually a spot that has room left? Can we go deep into the forest and avoid the rangers, we are minimalist and will be waking up at 2 AM anyways. We are not looking for something legit, just something to spend a few hours sleeping.

For Yankee Boy Bassin. Is there anyway we could do a bivy close to the trailhead. I saw there were a few camping spots on the way, but we are doing this on the July 4th week-end and not optimistic on the available spots. What would you guys recommend for that area?

Thanks so much, this community has been so helpful so far!.

Adrien

Re: Yankee Boy bassin last minute camping spots

Postby Above+Beyond » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:27 pm

adthevenet wrote:For Yankee Boy Bassin. Is there anyway we could do a bivy close to the trailhead

Negatory.

There are signs on the Camp Bird road just above where it crosses Canyon Creek on a bridge (~2 1/2 mi above Hywy 550 turnoff) and the campground there saying "No Camping Beyond This Point!". I suppose because they don't want people just pulling off anywhere.

What exactly constitutes "camping", and whether it's enforced or not whenever, I can't say.

I'm not with the Chamber of Commerce, but your best no-brainer option might be getting a spot at a commercial campground in the vicinity of town (Ouray), or a bed at one of the motels/lodges. Depending on how/what you drive, it's a half-hour or 45 minutes up to the end of the road and trailhead from town.
Last edited by Above+Beyond on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And beauty will go savage in the secret mountains. - Robinson Jeffers

Re: Longs Peak and Yankee Boy bassin last minute camping spo

Postby Brian Thomas » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:32 pm

You can't park overnight at the Longs trailhead without a permit.

Suggest camping in the National Forest land just a few miles southeast of there off of Boulder County Road 82.

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:39 pm

I think I'm referring to the same thing as Brian Thomas - but there are BLM lands past Meeker Lodge off CO-7. You drive past Meeker (heading north), and hang a right where CO-7 heads left about 100 yards past the lodge. Drive back that road and you will find plenty of dispersed camping.

As for Sneffels - I might be naively optimistic, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a spot at either Amphitheatre, Angel Creek or Thistledown Campgrounds around Ouray. Amphitheatre is right off 550 south of town and the other 2 are right along Camp Bird Rd.

Postby Brian Thomas » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:36 pm

longs.jpg
longs.jpg (319.36 KiB) Viewed 185 times
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby granitejon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:44 pm

For Ouray you could try camping on the road to the Portland mine. Take the road to the right just as you are going into the Amphitheater campground. There are usually some good spots along the road.