Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Bear mauls Alaska man who gave it barbecue meat

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Bear mauls Alaska man who gave it barbecue meat

Postby zdero1 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:57 pm

This is someone's family member and friend. I'd like to think 14ers.com members would show a little more class when it comes to accidents (regardless of circumstance) in the wilderness.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:07 pm

Oman wrote:A bear video with a better ending (couldn't figure out how to embed it though):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151756543367474&set=vb.572322473&type=2&theater

:wft: That's quite the close encounter
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby sigepnader » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:28 pm

zdero1 wrote:This is someone's family member and friend. I'd like to think 14ers.com members would show a little more class when it comes to accidents (regardless of circumstance) in the wilderness.

He gave a bear bbq. I repeat. He gave a bear bbq. I'm all for compassion but the jokes are justified on this one.

Postby Kiefer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:54 pm

sigepnader wrote:
zdero1 wrote:This is someone's family member and friend. I'd like to think 14ers.com members would show a little more class when it comes to accidents (regardless of circumstance) in the wilderness.

He gave a bear bbq. I repeat. He gave a bear bbq. I'm all for compassion but the jokes are justified on this one.

I can't EVEN begin to imagine how much worse this would have been if he would have gave the bear a BLT.

Postby Mark A Steiner » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:57 pm

sigepnader wrote:

Maybe the thread should go Off Route, and right next to the thread titled "Funnies".

This reminds me of a story about a tourist visiting Yellowstone who tried to take a picture of his baby being held by a bear. The outcome was similar - lunch for the bear.

Bears are an interesting study, but bearly worth any man-made attempts to reason with them in the wild.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby TallGrass » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:31 am

sigepnader wrote:
Lemmiwinks wrote:It was probably that crappy North Carolina BBQ which pissed off the bear. The guy wouldn't have been hurt if he gave the bear real BBQ from KC.
Being from North Carolina I cannot agree more with this. :-D
Being from KC, neither can I. :mrgreen: Before KC was incorporated in the mid-late 1800s, it already had over two dozen steak restaurants as most cattle drives and or feeder rail lines converged here. The old train station was relocated atop a hill after the old one flooded out, again, because the original sprung up by the stockyards in the (river) "Bottoms" of town where there was an easy level grade for freight (read: cattle).

Just imagine if that guy tried pawning off some tofu, vegan powerbars, or skunk beer on the bear. :shock:

@ HungryJack: I like that photo, but now I want to sample that sauce! Had one out-of-towner comment good meat was all that mattered for Q, sauce didn't. [-X By the time he made it to his car, the scaffolding was already half-built and five scouts (two boys, two girls, one undecided) and seven Navy shipmen had volunteered their knot tying skills.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Hungry Jack » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:51 am

Tortoise1 wrote:
Hungry Jack wrote:You must understand--I have been waiting over 30 years for the perfect opportunity to post this. Now it has arrived.

That is good. But c'mon - 30 years? That would put you on the internet before Al Gore.

First, I had to wait for the Internet to be created (thank you Al Gore). Then I had to wait for a man to be mauled after serving barbecue to a grizzly.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby Steve Climber » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:45 am

Hungry Jack wrote:You must understand--I have been waiting over 30 years for the perfect opportunity to post this. Now it has arrived.

Hungry Jack...

Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Dex » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:55 am

This is a class 5 thread so far.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Hungry Jack » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:46 am

How many of us have had brushes with thinning the herd, but have somehow survived?

I am sure I have done some pretty moronic things that should have gotten me killed, but forces of luck intervened. When I was 19 I had a summer job on a lake in northern Michigan at a yacht club. I was not an experienced sailor or boater (I learned quickly), and one day I was towing a friend's 28 ft sailboat to the dock. We approached the dock with too much speed. I cast his line too late and his boat was barrelling toward the dock at a high speed. I decided to exit the tow boat (a smaller Boston Whaler, my friend was driving) and put my body between the sailboat and the dock.

My friend was on the bow of his boat, and he smartly dove off to the side, which altered the course of the boat. It coasted harmlessly by and slowed down without incident. Had it hit me square on, and I would have been crushed.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby Oman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:47 am

Tis the season for bear videos -- in this case, a bear is rescued after swimming two miles offshore.
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/06/19/launch-anglers-rescue-bear-struggling-in-lake-mille-lacs/

Postby metalmountain » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:08 am

=D>

I wish I could make it a slow clap.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

PreviousNext