Alaska--katmai or gates of the arctic?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Alaska--katmai or gates of the arctic?

Post by steelfrog »

Hello friends. Getting a little more serious about planning for the Alaska trip for next summer (2014). Originally was thinking about wrangell/st. Elias. Now am leaning more toward either gates of the arctic or katmai. Gates of the arctic the biggest attraction to me is the arrigetch, but getting to them appears to be An expensive proposition.

Anyway, anyone have advice about the relative merits of each for 2 people on a mild budget? We want to do backcountry camping and scrambling etc if possible. Bears sightings would be a plus

Many thanks!
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Alaska--katmai or gates of the arctic?

Post by bergsteigen »

Katmai - hands down. Much more to do nearby, less mosquitoes, more scenic too. Lots of options both by land and by sea. Taking a cruise to see parts of Katmai is one of the highlights of my 5 years living in Alaska. Travel to Gates is going to be half the adventure, since no rental car will allow you to drive the Haul Road, and for good reason. I've driven it twice, and not with my personal vehicle - heck no! Dangerous, long and boring would be my description of that road. So you would have to charter a plane, which up the price significantly.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Thanks a bunch!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Which time of year?

If in June, go to Katmai. In August or early September go to Gates of the Arctic.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Most likely mid to late July
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Doable, but not prime season for either, at least if hiking/climbing is the main theme of your trip. Late July tends to be super rainy for Katmai and peak mosquito season in the Gates of the Arctic.

If you have a choice you want mid June to early July for Katmai and August-early September for Gates of the Arctic.
hotrod
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hotrod »

I backpacked Katmai in the second week of June a few years ago, in the Valley of 10,000 Smokes. No mosquitoes yet, some snow still on the ground, weather lousy, one of the group got hypothermia from the rain and cold. BUT, there were no other people on the trail, and we only saw one brown bear, although some tracks were next to our tents in the morning. The necessary river crossing had big blocks of ice floating down from the mountains and made for a frigid crossing. If you go in June, be prepared for the elements.
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

If you go in June, be prepared for the elements.
This is very true, but it's even wetter as summer progresses (August averages twice the amount of precip as June). Mid June to early July is considered to be prime season for southern coastal Alaska (and for the Southeast), at least if you can tolerate some snow. There usually is some snow around, but it's drier then (drier being a relative term; the region is very wet; go prepared for very wet weather). Climate summary from noaa.gov:
Attachments
Katmai.JPG
Katmai.JPG (51.01 KiB) Viewed 3308 times
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Hmm. It's beginning to sound like Gates of the Arctic might be the better option; August. Does anybody know if we're talking substantially more expensive to get a bush flight from Fairbanks to the Arrigetch, as compared with the multiple flights to Brooks Camp from Anchorage for Katmai? My impression is that Gates of the Arctic is quite a bit more pricey but I may be wrong. Many thanks!
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Does anybody know if we're talking substantially more expensive to get a bush flight from Fairbanks to the Arrigetch
I have not been to the Arrigetch Peaks, but I do have information on the area, mostly geared towards climbing.

According to the information I have you actually fly Fairbanks to Bettles (currently $180 RT) and then catch a flight from there rather than to catch a bush flight all the way from Fairbanks.

I have no idea how much a bush flight from Bettles to Circle Lake is in the Arrigetch Peaks, but it won't be cheap. Bush flights in Alaska never are, especially if they leave from remote areas.

I would contact one of the Bettles bush plane services directly. This one for example takes people to the Arrigetch Peaks:

http://www.bettleslodge.com/new/air_service.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the central and east sides of the park, my information says that late June and August-early September is best, but it also says that for the Arrigetch Peaks July is also OK, but with clouds of mosquitoes.
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

I went to the Arrigetch Peaks way back in mid August 1983. Bugs were not a problem, the fall colors were great and there were ripe blueberries to be had by the handful.I'd say go that time of the year if you can.Our route took us up Arrigetch Creek where we based for several days,then we went back down the valley and crossed a pass to Aiyagomahala Creek and finally picked up at Takahula Lake.10 days in all.I agree that you should take a commercial flight to Bettles and then arrange for a float plane.Best climb possibility is Ariel,6685 feet, unless you want to do some hardcore stuff.
I would have replied sooner but I just returned to Fairbanks a few hours ago from a trip to ANWR, The Marsh Fork of the Canning River. Consider a trip there too,it is truly one of the neatest places that I have ever been.We used Wright Air Services and they did everything just as they said they would.

The horn shaped peak is Ariel. Not my picture
i-pRq2MNF-XL.jpg
i-pRq2MNF-XL.jpg (287.73 KiB) Viewed 3110 times
Last edited by planet54 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

How many times have you been to Alaska before? If this is your first time then car camping from the major roads is ane conomical way to get acqainted with the south central part of the state and do it at lower cost. Otherwise you can go into the bush on subsequent trips.