Popo Blows

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Popo Blows

Post by Monte Meals »

Mexico's Popocatepetl volcano, outside the Mexican capital, spouted a large column of ash and steam Wednesday but officials did not raise alert levels or start evacuations.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/mexico-volcano ... 53827.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Popo Blows

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Maybe not now. But recall in the last month there have been fairly strong quakes near Oaxaca and near Mexico City. All that shaking may have sufficed to open the magma chamber under Popo a bit - hopefully not too much as these things can unload big time when provoked.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Yea, there have been many aftershocks in the area, which could trigger something.
My colleague works in Mexico City, and they were almost getting accustomed to the shaking...
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

Wow! Glad it didn't blow this day. I keep waiting to pull up 14ers and see a TR where someone "got lost" and ended up on the summit of Popo. But illegal isn't kosher in Mexico :wink: . A nice looking peak, probably the best of the lot down there.

Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Latest on Popocatepetl:

http://news.discovery.com/earth/volcano ... 20421.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With the volcano still rumbling: if harmonic tremors are also occurring, it may mean magma is moving and a greater event can still occur. A volcano don't rise to almost 18,000 feet without major eruptive events in its history. Stay tuned.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
Snowclimber
14ers: 38 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Snowclimber »

I did Popo recently.

Oops, was I supposed to say that?
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Snowclimber wrote:I did Popo recently.

Oops, was I supposed to say that?
Awesome!
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

I was in Mexico City for work the last week of April. On the clear days I had an excellent view of Popo erupting from my room at the Sheraton...
Attachments
Popocatépetl
Popocatépetl
2012-04-26 06.56.10.jpg (75.55 KiB) Viewed 3643 times
jeremy27
14ers: 36  3 
13ers: 67 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeremy27 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ATDHCtaMBs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I climbed Popo late December 1992. At the time, the guidebook said that the mountain still had some steam vents and sulphur fumes, indicating that it wasn't completely dead, but that it was unlikely to erupt anytime soon. :-s

Here's a photo I took (cheap camera; sorry about the quality) of what the mountain used to look like:

It used to have some pretty big glaciers and crevasses.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

Scott P wrote:I climbed Popo late December 1992. At the time, the guidebook said that the mountain still had some steam vents and sulphur fumes, indicating that it wasn't completely dead, but that it was unlikely to erupt anytime soon. :-s
That was WAAAAYYYYY back in 1992...21 years in volcano time is like... *doing math in head* "and carry the one"...hmmm. That doesn't work out like I thought it would. :lol:
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

That was WAAAAYYYYY back in 1992...21 years in volcano time is like...
Yes, but it actually blew less than two years after I climbed it (December 1994) and has been erupting on and off ever since. At the end of 1992 (steam activity increased about a year before), it was still considered by many geologist to be "unlikely to erupt anytime soon". Two years is pretty soon in geologic time. :mrgreen:
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.