Ripsaw Ridge

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ekviatnie
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (0)

Ripsaw Ridge

Post by ekviatnie »

Anyone interested in running/scrambling the Ripsaw Ridge later this month or in July? I live in Vail and have had my eyes on this line for a few years. I have most weekends free.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Ripsaw Ridge

Post by Brian C »

Define running!

This is something I'd be interested in but doubt I'd be running. Haha.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

Definitely interested in this. Pretty much any weekend in July, other than the 20th/21st.
ekviatnie
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekviatnie »

I would plan on running from the Piney Lake TH to the base of Peak C. I have run this many times and it is a fairly well maintained trail. Once to the base of Peak C, I am interested in steady scrambling. If we do this in June or July, we would need to leave EARLY to be off the ridge by noon or so to avoid scary afternoon storms. I would envision camping around the Piney area the night before. I am free Saturday or Sunday 29,30 June, Saturday 13 July, and Sunday 28 July. Do any of these dates work?
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

I'd be in for this, but without the running part :oops:
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

This strikes me as a major undertaking. It is an easy walk along Piney Lake to where the trail starts to climb up to Kneeknocker basin, but that TR said it took 18 hours to do this.
please rotate your device
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Which report? That seems like a pretty hefty time for experienced scramblers/hikers. Sans running, Ripsaw times vary between 10-13 hrs car to car. 18 hrs would require going purely direct with full blown 5th class rope and rack. Or chugging a beer and punting marmots every half hour or so.
Hungry Jack wrote:... but that TR said it took 18 hours to do this.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

And what is wrong with beer chugging and marmot punting????????
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Hey now, nobody said nuthin bout no marmot puntin, I want in on that action :-D
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

I smell a drinkin' game a' brewin'
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?