Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Bora Bora hiking/climbing?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Bora Bora hiking/climbing?

Postby davebks » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:49 pm

Hi all, I am planning my honeymoon and considering Bora Bora, Cook Islands, or Fiji. I am leaning toward Bora Bora. Anyone been to any of those? Does BB have decent climbing or hiking?
Good trip? Would you pick one of those places over the others?
Thanks!

Re: Bora Bora hiking/climbing?

Postby pvnisher » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:30 pm

Get ready to pay $20 for a hamburger on Fiji. ](*,)

Postby Dex » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:37 am

That is a long way to go for a beach. I think you could get a similar experience in some Caribbean Islands.

If I was considering that part of the world I would consider Bali with a stop in Hong Kong.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Ubud

I'd recommend Ubud. I would not recommend the usual beach tourist areas.

Or, Northern Thailand is an interesting place.

Or, The Great Barrier Reef with a stop in Sydney.

I'm not a beach person. Nor would I want to hike on those islands wondering if that bug bite I just got will rot my leg off.

But, hey, that is me.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby johnF » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:45 am

I honeymooned not in Bora Bora, but at an island right next to it. I can't speak to the hiking/climbing, but I'll say that those islands are very small, so any such options will be quite limited.

I'd disagree with the statement, "you could get a similar experience in some Caribbean Islands," but everyone experiences things differently, so I'm not necessarily arguing with Dex. He even said he's not a beach person :) If you're looking for amazing beaches (clean, picturesque, warm), top-notch food, top-notch resorts, and the best hospitality and service anywhere, definitely go to Tahiti and not the Carribean... but you do pay for all of that. My wife is into that kind of thing, and she can't stop talking about the Tahitian experience ten years later.

So I'd totally recommend Bora Bora if you want a great beach honeymoon, but not necessarily if hiking is a top priority. From what I've heard, Bora Bora is a slight notch above the other two places you've mentioned in terms of hospitality, etc.

Postby samoarob » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:25 am

Like my name, I was born in Samoa, 1 hour east of Fiji and 1 hour west of Tahiti. I agree with Fletch. I've taken many cruises to the Caribbean and there is no comparison with Tahiti. Tahiti, hands down! My wife and I take 2 trips to Kauai every year and even that you can't compare to Tahiti.

Postby Dex » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:32 pm

Sand in you thong and every body crevice

English spoken with a accent.

Sunburn

Strange bug

Not so strange bugs

Food - small portions and high price

Expensive beer

Are you telling me those things can't be found in Fiji, Tahiti and the Caribbean?

I've been to over 25 countries and on beaches from Puerto Rico to Australia to Thailand to England.

If you want to save yourself some money - go to the roof in a bathing suit, get a sunburn, put on some world music, get dressed, pore some sand in your underwear, take a taxi a Thai restaurant, dump half the food, and pay 3x the asking price for the food. If, it rains on that day, stay at home just imagine you are in a beach hotel. You only have one TV station that runs only black and white UK shows from the 1950s. When you get board read a book or twittle your thumbs. Order in food and pay the delivery guy 3x the price.

Beaches suck!

Other then that have fun on your honeymoon and consider my recommendations.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Scott P » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:12 am

Does BB have decent climbing or hiking?

I've been to the islands around Bora Bora, such as Moorea and Tahiti. Yes, they have really spectacular mountains, but most of them are pretty hard. Mouaputa is one of the easier ones, but it still remains the scariest and most difficult climb I have done. The highest peak in Bora Bora is still unclimbed. I guess it depends on your definition of "decent". Spectacular and beautiful, yes.

The SP pages will give you an idea of what the mountains look like over there:

http://www.summitpost.org/mouaputa-moorea/155041

http://www.summitpost.org/rotui-moorea/155046

http://www.summitpost.org/aorai-tahiti/155135

The mountains tend to be quite steep and rise straight out of the ocean.

I still haven't been to Fiji, but do know that you are required to have a guide to legally climb/hike there. Supposed to be some really good hikes though.

PS, choose you're destination based on the dry season. Climbing is not really practical in French Polynesia (or I've heard Fiji) during the wet season. Someone mentioned the Caribbean, but the seasons are opposite to those of French Polynesia/Fiji for most islands.

If you want to go hiking climbing, December through April is best for most of the Caribbean. If you want to go hiking or climbing in French Polynesia or Fiji, May through October is more practical. The wet season can be dangerous for hiking/climbing in French Polynesia. Even November (between wet and dry seasons) was pretty scary.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby davebks » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:00 am

Thanks for the info all. We talked about doing something closer but in the end it's our honeymoon and we can to Mexico (and other close places like that anytime).
The thought is get to Bora Bora (probably), get an over the water bungalow, relax.
I looked up some fun hikes down there so that will be ok with me. I don't need big climbing or anything, I just thought I'd ask.

In the end this is mostly about diving/snorkeling, relaxing, and enjoying the water life.
I poked around this weekend and BB seemed like the best middle ground place for us. Fiji was a bit too expensive and busy but the Cooks were a bit too primitive.

In any case well keep looking into it.
Thanks. If you have been to Bora Bora and have some direct feedback I'd love to hear it.

Postby Mtn2Metro » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:19 am

I honeymooned in Mo'orea and Bora Bora. Mo'orea was more of the locals island. I compare it to Breck and Bora Bora to Aspen. Mo'orea is home to all the working class. Of coarse we were there for the amazing diving. Visibility is around 100' and the waters are warm. I searched out hiking while I was there and didn't find anything. We instead choose 4x4 tour up the hill there to a nice overlook. Bora Bora's infrastructure was carved out during WWII during the Pearl Harbor era by the American's. Servicemen would write home and it quickly became known as a remote paradise everyone wanted to visit. Honestly when you get there hiking will be the last thing on your mind. Enjoy yourself and all the pleasures the island has to offer.
Your imagination is your preview of life's coming attractions. -A. Einstein
Let your life proceed by it's own design. -Barlow/Weir

Postby johnF » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Definitely do an overwater bungalow in Bora Bora (as long as you can afford it). You'll never forget that experience!

Postby Dex » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:07 pm

davebks wrote:Thanks for the info all.
In any case well keep looking into it.

Seriously now - why not consider Sydney, Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef if you are going to that part of the world.

I've been there and it is a great place. You have a lot to do and you can rent a car and drive around to explore. The places you are considering are exotic - but there is much more in Australia.

I was being honest about my travels - my last trip was to Egypt in '06 - I wanted to see it before it closed down.
Montani Semper Liberi

Postby Scott P » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:08 pm

The places you are considering are exotic - but there is much more in Australia.

I respectfully disagree. Mile for mile, French Polynesia (i.e. Bora Bora, Tahiti, Moorea) is much more scenic than Australia. The food in Australia is overall nasty as well (my least favorite in all my world travels). :-& The food is nothing like Outback Steakhouse. The most memorable part of Sydney was the being flashed by prostitutes (we were there on New Years though), but yes there are some attractions. Sydney has a party spring break-ish atmosphere rather than romantic.

Yes, Australia has good diving and good (and very interesting) wildlife, but in most areas the scenery is pretty ordinary. Darwin area may be an exception. Tasmania too.

For honeymooning, French Polynesia would be far superior than Australia (I've been to both). For a single college guy looking for a spring break-ish party atmosphere, Sydney would be fine.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Next