Holy Cross Wilderness: Changes to Regulations for 2013

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dnye
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Holy Cross Wilderness: Changes to Regulations for 2013

Post by dnye »

TehWoopig wrote:
TallGrass wrote:
Stiffler_from_Denver wrote:I just can't imagine how they would police it.
Shelter already has a hasp and padlock, so I guess they'll just lock it.
Someone is going to hike up there every day and lock it and then hike back down? :?
I hear they suckered an $8/hour summer intern to hike up there twice a day. \:D/
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

TehWoopig wrote:
TallGrass wrote:
Stiffler_from_Denver wrote:I just can't imagine how they would police it.
Shelter already has a hasp and padlock, so I guess they'll just lock it.
Someone is going to hike up there every day and lock it and then hike back down? :?
No, I mean like lock it up 24/7. The benches in there are already chained to the walls -- they're split logs, there's no wood for the fireplace, and it gets pretty cold up there at night. I've seen other structures under the feds (e.g. NPS) that used to be accessible but were locked up due to vandals and such.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
TehWoopig
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TehWoopig »

TehWoopig wrote:
TallGrass wrote:
Stiffler_from_Denver wrote:Shelter already has a hasp and padlock, so I guess they'll just lock it.
No, I mean like lock it up 24/7. The benches in there are already chained to the walls -- they're split logs, there's no wood for the fireplace, and it gets pretty cold up there at night. I've seen other structures under the feds (e.g. NPS) that used to be accessible but were locked up due to vandals and such.
Well, they said it was going to be open during the day. It would be a shame to see it locked up permanently. I guess there are a lot of high elevation bench thieves running around over there. :-k
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

TehWoopig wrote:
TallGrass wrote: No, I mean like lock it up 24/7. The benches in there are already chained to the walls -- they're split logs, there's no wood for the fireplace, and it gets pretty cold up there at night.
I guess there are a lot of high elevation bench thieves running around over there. :-k
Uh, again, fireplace w/o logs in a cold area and "split log" benches. Can't put together the concern or past problem there? "Sure use a fire right now, Jed. Hey, whatcha sittin' on there?"
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Gareth
14ers: 25 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gareth »

I'm glad that I stayed in the shelter back in 2004 when I had the chance. It was a neat experience.

There is talk of granting the shelter National Historic Landmark status. That's nice and all, but it seems that it would possibly be another step toward making the shelter nothing but a museum piece to be looked at, but not touched.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

With regards to Notch Shelter, one of the biggest concerns with the increase in overnight use over recent years has been human waste, above treeline at practically 13,000' is not a place that can handle human waste on that type of scale. This was one of the driving forces in the move to officially close it to overnight use.

The shelter is also meant as a place that is available to everyone as a lightning shelter or place to take a quick break, if people are camped in there it gives other visitors a feeling that they are not welcome and impacts their experience.

I don't know what the enforcement or fine policy is going to be with regards to the shelter, but please consider these two items in particular and respect the closure. Thanks.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day