Atlantic / Pacific?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AlpineIce
Trip Reports (0)

Atlantic / Pacific?

Post by AlpineIce »

Hey all, looking for a fun moderate snow climb this weekend. I'm thinking about Atlantic because we were chased off it in horrible whiteout winter conditions and I still need the summit. Anyone been up Atlantic lately? I'm thinking about the west ridge but if it's all melted out, I wouldn't want to spend time on a class 2 ridge without snow (the approach from the gully is a scree pile if I remember). Does the atlantis couloir look climbable? I'm really looking for a fun approach, camp at base, climb with snow so any suggestions would be great!
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Atlantic / Pacific?

Post by bergsteigen »

Here's a photo of the east side of Atlantic with the Atlantis Couloir, and it's approach. From Boreas Mtn on Sat
Attachments
East side of Atlantic
East side of Atlantic
atlantic-east.jpg (136.95 KiB) Viewed 288 times
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
AlpineIce
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Atlantic / Pacific?

Post by AlpineIce »

Fantastic. Thanks for the photo - it's a great view, but wow, a lot has melted, none of the exciting cornices in late winter/spring. Guess it's either RMNP couloir's or maybe Torrey's this weekend.

Thanks again Bergsteigen. Love the name btw, the group I climb with is called "Bergsteiger Korp". Auf Wiedersehen!