Father Dyer/Crystal conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Father Dyer/Crystal conditions

Post by jaymz »

Anyone have any info on the conditions on Father Dyer and Crystal? Looking to get out to FD's East Ridge next Monday (the 17th).
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
Scotzman
14ers: 14  1 
13ers: 7 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Father Dyer/Crystal conditions

Post by Scotzman »

This area is on my list for sometime soon also!
Scotzman
Every man dies, not every man really lives.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.
GoPackGo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GoPackGo »

I skied Crystal on Saturday. Snow in the East Bowl still and on the summer trail from Spruce Creek TH. The ridge between Father Dyer and Crystal looked pretty dry. I have pics of Crystal but none of the ridge. Let me know and I can figure out how to get them up here.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

GoPackGo wrote:I skied Crystal on Saturday. Snow in the East Bowl still and on the summer trail from Spruce Creek TH. The ridge between Father Dyer and Crystal looked pretty dry. I have pics of Crystal but none of the ridge. Let me know and I can figure out how to get them up here.
Thanks, did you need any sort of traction/floatation on the trail? I imagine there'd be a bit more melting in the next week.
John Muir
GoPackGo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GoPackGo »

I didn't use any though I did post hole on the way up at 7.30am.
Slabmonger
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Slabmonger »

I did Father Dyer East Ridge yesterday 6-12.
Road was snow-free to normal trailhead. Getting to the ridge had some intermittent snow-drifts and was fairly wet but floatation wouldn't be worth it. The ridge itself was completely dry, same with the traverse to Crystal. The descent down Crystal yielded a nice glissade.

Edit: A member for 6 years and a post finally brought me out of lurkdom! Always glad to read conditions so figured I'd try to give back.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

Thanks for coming out of lurkdom! How did the traverse over to Peak 10 from Crystal look? I'm thinking about throwing that one in there, but would also like to have a nice glissade if there's one available.
Also, would you recommend gaiters for those drifts?
Slabmonger
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Slabmonger »

The peak 10 traverse looked fine, maybe a few snow drifts. Yes, I'd bring gaiters as they were the one thing I'd wanted and didn't have.
Also, there looked like some glissade options off of Peak 10 but they probably weren't as much as a fall line descent.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

Excellent, thank you slabmonger and GoPackGo!
John Muir
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

Great info. Thanks! I'm deciding last minute where to head in the am and would LOVE to see some pics/info of the Crystal-Father Dyer traverse. If you have some quick data of the Pacific-Atlantic traverse that would be amazing! Feel free to PM me.

EDIT: Sorry - saw someone above mentioned the ridge between Crystal and Dyer as being dry.
Go get it
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

Last minute bump, just in case anyone's been up there in the last day or two.
powhound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by powhound »

As of Saturday morning
Fr. Dyer-Crystal.JPG
Fr. Dyer-Crystal.JPG (121.63 KiB) Viewed 323 times