Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Cordillera Blanca -- New Rules (?)

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Cordillera Blanca -- New Rules (?)

Postby firsttracks » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:29 pm

My climbing partner and I were planning on heading down to the Cordillera Blanca this summer. We recently found out that some new rules are in place this year in Peru. It looks like you are now required to hire a guide (presumably Peruvian, rumored to be > $60 / day) and are limited in choices of mountains and routes.

As of now, we are re-thinking our trip, and might end up in Bolivia or Alaska instead. If anyone out there has any hard info, please let me know. Also, if you are planning a trip to Peru, head's up! If I find out more specifics, I'll pass them along.

Postby sudnstop » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:15 pm

My wife and I were in Peru a couple of years ago for sightseeing trip, it was torturous to look at the mountains and not get into them. I remember reading something about the requirements in one of the magazines and also in the Access Fund newletter but I do not recall the information or the specific ranges. I do know that it is highly recommended to hire a guide, and required in some areas of Peru to prevent the robbery of your gear while you are out climbing. Definately keep an eye on all your stuff while you are there and watch out for people selling tickets on the buses. If the price seems too good to be true it is and you will not be on a luxury bus but a school bus full of people and livestock for hours. Enjoy the guinea pig (big delicacy there). Haggle haggle haggle. Call the Access Fund and the American Alpine Club for more information. If you are not a member of AAC I highly recommend it for the rescue insurance, if not for the journal and accidents books.. Maybe search summitpost also..
Cheers,
Greg

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." Frank Lloyd Wright