Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

June 6 Trip

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: June 6 Trip

Postby dcduck » Thu May 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Excellent advice. Thanks for responding to that portion specifically.

Postby dcduck » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:42 pm

Is there anywhere I should camp in Winfield, or should I just plan on driving West on 390 at the reservoir?

Postby shearmodulus » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:17 pm

If you're feeling adventurous (rhetorical question, I know) you CAN make it to Maroon Bells from Crested Butte.

You can also make it from Crested Butte to Conundrum Hot Springs via the same route with a different spur.

I planned this out for January but didn't make it due to extremely bad snow conditions.

Drive up from Crested Butte Mountain along CO 317 towards the town of Gothic (Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory).

If the road is still closed due to snow (I doubt it, but it's possible) you have to park about 3.5 miles from Gothic. It's an easy hike but adds miles.

About .25 to .5 miles past Gothic, you can park at a marked trailhead and head out towards Judd Falls and Copper lake trail. According to this report, it's about 4.4 miles from Gothic to the Copper Lake area. http://www.mapmyhike.com/routes/view/21270280

Once at the lake, you should be able to follow another trail to the east of the lake, which then joins up and passes on the ridgeline ABOVE the lake, heading westerly, and then over the pass to Maroon Bells. Here's a screenshot of the route from Google Earth:

Picture2.jpg
Picture2.jpg (140.87 KiB) Viewed 239 times

From there, you're on your own. I focused on the Conundrum split, so no guarantees on the data. From the Copper Lake area, you could also branch over to the Conundrum Valley and get Castle and Conundrum Peak if so inclined. You'd be running it beta, but isn't that where the fun comes? And when you're finished, you could head back to Crested Butte for a beer.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."

Postby MissMoots » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:57 am

The Copper Lake route takes you into EAST Maroon Pass, one valley over from WEST Maroon Pass and the Bells. From here you have one big, looong ridge in the way (Pyramid) and Castle/Conundrum another ridge and valley to the east. I hiked Aspen --> Crested Butte --> Aspen last Fall via West Maroon Pass to CB, overnight, East Maroon Pass back to Aspen. Perhaps most beautiful Fall hike ever but you're obviously about summiting so choose your valley's wisely. Either way you can't go wrong in terms of beauty!

shearmodulus wrote:If you're feeling adventurous (rhetorical question, I know) you CAN make it to Maroon Bells from Crested Butte.

You can also make it from Crested Butte to Conundrum Hot Springs via the same route with a different spur.

I planned this out for January but didn't make it due to extremely bad snow conditions.

Drive up from Crested Butte Mountain along CO 317 towards the town of Gothic (Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory).

If the road is still closed due to snow (I doubt it, but it's possible) you have to park about 3.5 miles from Gothic. It's an easy hike but adds miles.

About .25 to .5 miles past Gothic, you can park at a marked trailhead and head out towards Judd Falls and Copper lake trail. According to this report, it's about 4.4 miles from Gothic to the Copper Lake area. http://www.mapmyhike.com/routes/view/21270280

Once at the lake, you should be able to follow another trail to the east of the lake, which then joins up and passes on the ridgeline ABOVE the lake, heading westerly, and then over the pass to Maroon Bells. Here's a screenshot of the route from Google Earth:

Picture2.jpg

From there, you're on your own. I focused on the Conundrum split, so no guarantees on the data. From the Copper Lake area, you could also branch over to the Conundrum Valley and get Castle and Conundrum Peak if so inclined. You'd be running it beta, but isn't that where the fun comes? And when you're finished, you could head back to Crested Butte for a beer.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:54 pm

dcduck wrote:Is there anywhere I should camp in Winfield, or should I just plan on driving West on 390 at the reservoir?

There's a decent-sized camping area with a vault toilet at the town of Winfield - turn left at the fork and look left as you cross the creek. Winfield is about 12 miles down the road from the reservoir, all of it passenger-car drivable. There are also a bunch of nice campsites along the road before Winfield, and on the right just past the above-mentioned area. If you have high-clearance 4WD you can also go further up the road toward the Huron 4WD trailhead and find several more good spots.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Previous