Lost Creek Wilderness Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Lost Creek Wilderness Conditions?

Post by ezabielski »

I was wondering if anyone has been in LCW recently, and what the on-trail snow conditions were like.
macgyver
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 123
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Lost Creek Wilderness Conditions?

Post by macgyver »

What area in LC are you looking at? A couple weeks ago the area around Goose Creek was snow free everywhere we went, though nothing was above 9200'. I could not see Bison or McCurdy from where I was
-MacG
Jim Davies
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

There was a recent report here:
unix_girl wrote:We finished the Goose Creek Loop through Lake Park yesterday (5/24/2013); we hiked clockwise. The trail is nearly 100% snow covered on the slopes between Lake Park and McCurdy park. You'll find some post-holes to follow. The snow is up to 4' deep in places. It's passable, but not what we were expecting! It would be harder to find the trail heading in the counter-clockwise direction. This won't keep you from finishing the loop... just makes the trip a little more of an adventure.

Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
argothor
14ers: 33 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by argothor »

I went up North Ben Tyler on May 28th with the idea of doing Platte and Shawnee. The trail was clear of snow until somewhere below the bottom of the upper switchbacks (10,000 to 10,500'). The trail after that was somewhat packed down until we reached the junction Craig Park Trail. At that point we lost the trail because it was under 4 and 5 feet of snow. We post holed up to our knees and more all the way to Little Platosha, at which point the snow relented. From there to the summit of Platte the going was easy. Going through all that deep snow took enough out of us, and took more time than we wished, we decided to forego going over to Shawnee but the way looked reasonably clear of snow. Looking all around from Platte's summit above treeline there wasn't a lot of snow, but from treeline down to 10,000 to 10,500' there was a lot of snow.

And snow is in the forecast for today up there.
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

Was at Bison Peak on 5/24, snow was heavy and untracked! Our poor dogs could have used snorkels! We slogged to the summit nonetheless, but it was a grind. I'd guess it's still pretty heavy in the trees.
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
macgyver
Trip Reports (0)

Post by macgyver »

James Dziezynski wrote:Was at Bison Peak on 5/24, snow was heavy and untracked! Our poor dogs could have used snorkels! We slogged to the summit nonetheless, but it was a grind. I'd guess it's still pretty heavy in the trees.
Which route did you take up? Around what ele did the snow become deep? Thx
-MacG
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

I came up Ute Creek -- was fine until the McCurdy Tr. / Ute Creek split. Snow was deep and heavy, but obviously passable with a little work and got deeper near treeline, I think around 11,500. I bet you'll be in good shape if you go now --
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
macgyver
Trip Reports (0)

Post by macgyver »

Thanks James!
-MacG
tlerunner
14ers: 27 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tlerunner »

The Brookside Mcurdy trail going over the Kenosha range has deep snow on the north side. Post hole extravaganza.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

At least the first four miles from the Wigwam TH are bone dry, with a little bit of snow/ice bridging over the creek besides the trail.
Navigaiter
14ers: 46 
13ers: 49
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Navigaiter »

The Rock Creek area and S Ben Tyler Trail are almost completely dry. There are some snowy/icy patches occasionally in the valley, but nothing serious.

Treeline around Kenosha Peak is generally dry.
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

i did the lower loop from goose creek TH CCW this past weekend (took a bypass around lake trail b/c of downed trees). no snow at all...