LaSal Mountains Traverse

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Re: LaSal Mountains Traverse

Post by boudreaux »

Not surprised about the Pass, most years I've been up there you could get maybe a half mile past the Trans-LaSal TH. Thanks Anna! Do you have any pictures of the LaSals as you approach Moab, say from Caselton Rd or from the south from Old LaSal?
Ragin Cajun
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

Still trying to get ahold of one of my friends. The other said he thought it was 35 miles and 15k vert? He didn't end up going either, so he wasn't sure about the route.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Yep that's the gulley and Class 2+ slope I was talking about. Neither is much fun when not covered in snow and even tricky then. The easiest way is to descend the ridge you mention to the Trans La Sal trail. It is rocky but altogether not too bad but will leave you further down the Geyser Pass road then you may like to be unless you plan to park there.

skiwalls comment about vertical gain seem about right but the distance is way off unless you were doing a loop or staying on established trails and not on the ridges.

One thing to consider while camping is to hang your food from bears. I haven't seen any in the La Sals yet but saw lots of sign last spring around this time as they awoke and headed to the lakes and streams for fish.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Have fun :)

kaiman
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

kaiman wrote: skiwalls comment about vertical gain seem about right but the distance is way off unless you were doing a loop or staying on established trails and not on the ridges.
You are exactly right... he says they didn't want to do a car shuttle, so it was two out and backs from Geyser Pass. That's what made the distance so far.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
boudreaux
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

I did a rough estimate of the elevation putting it at 11,000'. I think the crux of this whole thing is Geyser Pass. If it is melted out where I can get real close for re-supply, I might be able to do it. Or just set up a camp there, 2nd camp at LaSal TH with the bike. Either way, I can bail from there if things get out of hand and do a secondary plan from LaSal Pass! I need some heat up there this week.

This is the webcam I use to look at the LaSals in Moab, UT

http://www.cnha.org/webcam.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ragin Cajun
boudreaux
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Didn't get the Whole Enchilada done, got only Waas, Pilot, Manns and Tomasaki in a out and back from Geyser Pass. Had some unexpected problems to work through and that took a lot of the impetus to do the rest. A trip report will come in a few days.
Ragin Cajun