san luis peak conditions and camping beta

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Erckle
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (1)

san luis peak conditions and camping beta

Post by Erckle »

I hiked little bear last week, and noticed significantly less amounts of snow that in the elks where i hail. i am wondering if anyone has any beta on the current conditions for west willow route on san luis peak, as far as bring snowshoes and avi equipment do you think it is necessary with the current coverage? also i am wondering if there is a nice little camp site close to the trail head. much appreciated and happy trails y'all
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Re: san luis peak conditions and camping beta

Post by Fisching »

Wildlobo71 and the SilverLynx are going San Luis this weekend. Shoot them a PM.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
theguydog14
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 3 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by theguydog14 »

Just hiked San Luis from Stewart Creek side (standard route)... Carried axe and micro spikes and never used either one of them. Minimal snow snow down there. Leave the avi gear at home
Erckle
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Erckle »

thanks theguydog! stoked to get back in the swing of summit season