Where would you go?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Pika
14ers: 53 
Trip Reports (0)

Where would you go?

Post by Pika »

If you had 4 days to spend in a wilderness with your dogs in early June? Suti dog is a great climber/hiker, but Loki dog is inapt to handle scree for prolonged time because of his anatomically comically long legs. His balancing ability is ridiculous, so he either slows me down while navigating through the scree or just refuses to continue. Any awesome loop hikes with mind blowing scenery? Cool hikes with cool peaks that these dogs can handle? Secret backpacking heaven? It does not have to be Colorado, but I only have 4 days which must include driving.
Thanks guys!
skibum4life
14ers: 35  2 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Where would you go?

Post by skibum4life »

I have to recommend the 4-pass loop around the Maroon Bells. Might be some snow on the tops of the passes in June, but I'd expect anywhere above treeline to have snow into June especially with the late snow we've gotten in CO. I did it in 3 days last year and 4 days the year before. Just about the best scenery I've had on a trip. You could just go Snowmass lake from Maroon lake if the full loop is too much. Not really much scree so the dogs would be happy. Also, Ice Lake basin is just about as pretty as you can get and makes for a good hike in, camp, and day hike around type of trip.
Pika
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Pika »

Thanks! The loop looks really good. The dogs will love it.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Will they love being on a leash 100% of the trip?
http://www.wilderness.net/NWPS/wildView ... nt&WID=344" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are plenty of places where you can let dogs run free, but the Maroon Bells area isn't one of them.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
ak47
14ers: 44 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ak47 »

I'll second what Jim said, no dogs in or near the shores of snowmass lake. I might recommend a stretch of the colorado trail, south from leadville over hope pass. This is a beautiful stretch with the possibility of adding mt elbert without much scree or scrambling.
Pika
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Pika »

Thank you guys!!!!!
Pika
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Pika »

What you guys think of the Flat Top Wilderness? Any cool must-see places to go there? Cool summit hikes?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Early June is way too early to expect dry conditions in most of the Flat Tops, if that's what you are looking for.

Snowpack is below normal, but there is still snow.

Some low elevation hikes are still scenic and won't have that much snow, such as the South Fork White River.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.