Cristo Couloir

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Cristo Couloir

Post by Steve Climber »

Bump again. Was originally looking at Skywalker or Dragon's Tail tomorrow, but a friend wants to join and make a 1st snow climb this weekend, so I'm thinking Cristo will be better suited. Looking at alpine start, maybe be on summit for sunrise and back down before anything softens up too much.

Anyone have any info?

Cheers!
Sam
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
jeremy27
14ers: 36  3 
13ers: 67 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeremy27 »

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=13504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pic 5 looks like Cristo to me. But I'm terrible at the old "what mountain is that" game.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

yep, that's cristo in that last pic, the wide couloir heading left off the summit of the tallest peak, the famous Mount Quandary Peak
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

Rad! I hadn't seen this TR. Cristo looks in from here. Maybe a little boney up top for riding, but seems good for a climb.

Thanks!
Sam
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
aliciaf
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 16 1
Trip Reports (9)

Post by aliciaf »

Update for anyone interested: Was up Cristo Couloir today. Parked about a half mile below the dam due to some snow still covering the road. Summited by 10am or so and took a short break up top. The first 1/3 of the ski down was still pretty firm, but we had a continuous ski from the summit all the way back to the dam (just a couple of spots that you had to carefully maneuver around). The remaining 2/3 of the ski was good corn snow. Started to get really soft by time we got to the dam, so we timed it just right.