Yuichiro Miura, 80yrs old summits Everest

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Yuichiro Miura, 80yrs old summits Everest

Post by nyker »

Very Impressive. Any way you slice it.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9303 ... nt-everest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Yuichiro Miura, 80yrs old summits Everest

Post by ameristrat »

Literally was just about to post this - and I'm just hoping to be able to make it up Quandary at 80!! :wft:
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Peter303 beat you by 19min on posting this.

http://14ers.com//forum/viewtopic.php?t ... 38#p483238" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
pudgy
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pudgy »

I remember reading a post a few years ago about an 80 plus year old woman who summit-ed a 14er...any idea who the oldest person is to do it?
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

I'm only 62----there is hope for me!

Dave
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I remember reading a post a few years ago about an 80 plus year old woman who summit-ed a 14er...any idea who the oldest person is to do it?
I do not know who is oldest to climb a 14er, but William Butler climbed Longs at age 85 and Longs is one of the more challenging of the 14ers.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

Wait, isn't Miura the same guy who skied Everest in the 70's? There's a documentary about him.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
Delorean_Man
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Delorean_Man »

Im just hoping I can make it up Grays this summer. And Im 26!
I would rather sit on a mountain and think about God than sit in church and think about the mountains.
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

I've had numerous (now ex-) friends email this story to me since I'm 51 and failed to summit Kilimanjaro last year.
TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

screeman57 wrote:Wait, isn't Miura the same guy who skied Everest in the 70's? There's a documentary about him.

Yes, it says so at the end of the article
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

It won the Oscar for best documentary in 1976. It's on youtube in 8 parts.
everest.jpg
everest.jpg (112.71 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

That is a scary movie, listening to his breathing is intense. When I first watched it I thought I just watched a man die, more like falling down Everest, not skiing it. Climbing Everest at that age is amazing!