Y Couloir in a week?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Re: Y Couloir in a week?

Post by CO Native »

Done (click for large version):
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
GerryRigged
14ers: 24  24  3 
13ers: 13 11 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by GerryRigged »

I'm planning to ski Y coliour or the east face Saturday 5/18. Unless the peak gets more snow between now and then the snow should be set up quite nicely. Anyone interested?
powhound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by powhound »

As of today 5/12
Pikes north face.JPG
Pikes north face.JPG (116.55 KiB) Viewed 564 times
cascadecoach
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by cascadecoach »

Updated Conditions on Y Couloir.
My friend and I attempted to climb the Y yesterday from Barr Camp. There is a substantial base below treeline, at least 3 feet in some areas. We had to break out the Bottomless Pit trail all the way from the Barr Trail. We turned around at the Y-Railroad Couloir split at 12500' because the condition were screaming wet loose avalanches (pinwheels etc.). I noticed four point releases just below the summit house on my way back to Manitou yesterday afternoon. There were no other tracks, and the cover up there is great, I bet the snow will be there through June into July. We just had to turn around because it was getting late.

I would post pictures, but I am currently having trouble with my computer, I will try later...
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

what was your turn around time when you saw those conditions?
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
GerryRigged
14ers: 24  24  3 
13ers: 13 11 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by GerryRigged »

Just looked at the weather forcast and the mountain should get freeze thaw conditions all this week with a slight chance of snow on Thursday.
Will see what CAIC says on Wed anf Fri and make the decision on Friday.
cascadecoach
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by cascadecoach »

CO Native wrote:what was your turn around time when you saw those conditions?
We turned around at 12:30 just below the split in the Y and Railroad Couloirs. There were pinwheels up there from Saturday because they had fresh snow on them. But as we made our way up we saw pinwheels rolling down the slope. It was probably around 3:00 on our way back to Manitou Springs when I turned around and noticed the avalanches just below the summit house. I recommend getting an early start, we did not get into the Bottomless Pit until 1130.
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

A good estimate of how long it will take to summit via the Y from Barr Camp is 5-7 hours. We did it in 5 one year with minimal trail breaking and excellent snow in the couloir. A 4am-4:30 start time has always worked well for us. I wouldn't want to be in the couloir later than noon.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
COmedic04
14ers: 38  4 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (6)

Post by COmedic04 »

Thinking about hitting it next week or the one after. Will probably do it in 2 days, with an overnighter at Barr Camp, just for shits and giggles.
"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."
- Anatoly Boukreev
Hoot
14ers: 58 
13ers: 150
Trip Reports (36)

Post by Hoot »

A group of my friends and I climbed The Y yesterday (Sunday 19 May). Three of us went up the Direct/Center branch and two up the Left branch. The snow conditions were near perfect all the way up. Both The Y and The Railroad are loaded with snow and should be good for at least a few more weeks.
Last edited by Hoot on Mon May 20, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

From a skiers perspective, I was up there on Saturday to get a look into the North facing couloirs. There will be some billygoating into the Y. Left Branch has a little more snow off the top than the Direct. Summit House Couloir is skiable and the Railroad is as well. Also some billygoating on these as well. I didn't drop into any of these as I was with the girlfriend and just skied Little Italy all day. Again for skiers expect rocks at the top, side stepping and billy goat some stuff.
snowymountainsrock
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by snowymountainsrock »

EatinHardtack wrote: I didn't drop into any of these as I was with the girlfriend and just skied Little Italy all day. Again for skiers expect rocks at the top, side stepping and billy goat some stuff.
I Little Italy filled in well? I am considering climbing it in the next week or two as my first couloir climb after practicing ice axe last summer on St. Mary's. Has it been going through a good freeze-thaw cycle recently? Or if there are any other first couloir climbs relatively near the springs that anyone would recomend, that would be great also.
Thanks