Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

My rules for peak bagging

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: My rules for peak bagging

Postby DArcyS » Tue May 14, 2013 2:24 pm

Yikes! A few slings and arrows here. :)

I've edited the original post to indicate this was intended for peak baggers with a strong desire to finish a list. I think that would help place the post in the proper context for many of you based upon your responses. My apologies for not being more clear.

Finally, I agree with many of your "rules," as my "rules" are not intended to be exclusive. Above all else, my suggestions are really not much more than a way to help list-seeking peak baggers a means to see the glass as half full and not half empty.

Postby CarpeDM » Tue May 14, 2013 4:04 pm

Yeah, I'm with anna. I don't see how the edits place it in a more acceptable context.

inthemtns wrote:So, inherent in rule 2 is don’t start a list unless you know you can finish it.

I also disagree with just about everything you said, but this particular bit has got to be about the worst advice I've ever seen anywhere for anything! It is precisely the setting of goals that we suspect we might not be able to achieve that stirs the heart, engages the mind, and makes them worth going after. But, hey...

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth." - Denis Diderot
"It is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but how and why he believes it. His beliefs are tentative, not dogmatic; they are based on evidence, not on authority or intuition." - Bertrand Russell
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
"Some say they're goin' to a place called Glory And I ain't saying it ain't a fact. But I've heard that I'm on the road to Purgatory And I don't like the sound of that.
I believe in love and I live my life accordingly. But I choose to let the mystery be" - Iris Dement

Postby DenneyR » Tue May 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Hey there...."intothemtns"

How is it you can find all that time and effort in beginning this post with your better than everyone attitude and not take the time to post an avatar???????

Maybe you don't really exist. Maybe you never climbed. Lets see some pics of the accomplishments you seem so proud of. I don't take much stock in people that don't have at least a picture of themselves.

Personally, I don't what reason someone hikes or climbs...........it's a personal thing and we do it the way that satisfies us most.

I also hate the term "peakbagger'. On any day the mountain can kick your ass, if it doesn't just be appreciative that you completed that days journey.

Postby Fisching » Tue May 14, 2013 4:57 pm

inthemtns wrote:Regarding rule 2, I cringe at seeing people leave the harder peaks for last. When it comes to lists, it’s not how many, it’s which ones you’ve climbed that’s important. If you’ve climbed 97 centennials and have Jagged, Dallas, and Teakettle left to climb, what have you proved? So, inherent in rule 2 is don’t start a list unless you know you can finish it. And if you can finish it, don’t leave the harder ones for last. If you leave the hard ones for last, are you going to push through the peak with threatening weather? Or are you going to try to finish the list with a hard peak in October when it’s covered in snow? If you’re climbing a harder peak and you’re not that close to finishing, psychologically it’s probably easier to turn back and leave it for another day.

The bolded portion is the one thing I wouldn't be dismissive of. I know and speak from personal experience when I pushed myself (even on easier peaks for what it's worth) because completion of "the list" was within grasp. Would I make some of those same decisions now that I stupidly earned my check mark? Probably not. It's easy to say "be safe and climb another day," but judgement can easily be clouded when the proverbial pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is within reach. Think of it as the last scene in Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade. I doubt I'm the only person who has found themselves in that predicament.

If these are the rules you choose to live by, then please by all means do so. Just don't expect many to agree with them. While Krakauer said "Mountains make poor receptacles for dreams," they're also poor places for unanimity.

Climb on.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby MonGoose » Tue May 14, 2013 5:10 pm

DenneyR wrote:Hey there...."intothemtns"

How is it you can find all that time and effort in beginning this post with your better than everyone attitude and not take the time to post an avatar???????

Maybe you don't really exist. Maybe you never climbed. Lets see some pics of the accomplishments you seem so proud of. I don't take much stock in people that don't have at least a picture of themselves.

Are you implying that intothemtns has been posing on this site for the past 6 years just so he could share his rules with us? I think the witch hunt is a bit uncalled for.

Postby Mark A Steiner » Tue May 14, 2013 5:16 pm

I am neither a "peakbagger" nor a "mountaineer" but I immensely enjoy being in the high country.

A high point reached is icing on the cake for me.

Happy hiking/climbing!
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue May 14, 2013 5:29 pm

i made it about a sentence of that OP. holy god almighty. ](*,)

on that note: the people i see as "peak baggers" really seem to miss out on a lot of wonderful things that the wilderness represents

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue May 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Trust me. I know Anna. That's why I had to put "seem" in italics. I know there's more to them than just that. The wilderness and physical exercise is something that represents something very important to me and it has basically saved my life so I cherish it a whole lot. :-D

Postby rijaca » Tue May 14, 2013 6:28 pm

edit: After reading your edit to the responses to your "rules" (or guidelines, philosophies, or suggestions or whatever BS you'd like to call them), I've edited my original response:

Rules?! We don't need no stinkin' rules (or guidelines, philosophies, or suggestions or whatever BS you'd like to call them)!
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby GeezerClimber » Tue May 14, 2013 7:10 pm

CarpeDM wrote:Yeah, I'm with anna. I don't see how the edits place it in a more acceptable context.

inthemtns wrote:So, inherent in rule 2 is don’t start a list unless you know you can finish it.

I also disagree with just about everything you said, but this particular bit has got to be about the worst advice I've ever seen anywhere for anything! It is precisely the setting of goals that we suspect we might not be able to achieve that stirs the heart, engages the mind, and makes them worth going after. But, hey...

+1000. It's like telling people to never take on a challenge in anything unless positive of success. Starting a business for example. I guess no one ever would dare by this rule.

Dave

Postby TallGrass » Tue May 14, 2013 7:13 pm

Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Dex » Tue May 14, 2013 7:16 pm

inthemts AKA Wild Duces?
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

PreviousNext