Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Rappel practice partner wanted

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Rappel practice partner wanted

Postby powhound » Fri May 10, 2013 7:42 pm

I am looking for a partner to practice basic rappelling with in the Monument area. I do have some experience … a couple of lessons, a few times practicing in the foothills, and a couple of experiences in the alpine. During these alpine rappels, I had some unforeseen variables thrown at me, making me realize I need to work on a few things. It seems rappelling is not as straightforward as it would appear to be in a controlled environment. My goal is to be better prepared for some more challenging scramble routes this summer.
PM for details if you are interested and have similar experience and goals.

Re: Rappel practice partner wanted

Postby globreal » Fri May 10, 2013 8:00 pm

powhound wrote:I am looking for a partner to practice basic rappelling with in the Monument area. I do have some experience … a couple of lessons, a few times practicing in the foothills, and a couple of experiences in the alpine. During these alpine rappels, I had some unforeseen variables thrown at me, making me realize I need to work on a few things. It seems rappelling is not as straightforward as it would appear to be in a controlled environment. My goal is to be better prepared for some more challenging scramble routes this summer.
PM for details if you are interested and have similar experience and goals.

PM sent
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby klinger » Fri May 10, 2013 8:18 pm

I only rap the diamond.

Postby Brian C » Fri May 10, 2013 10:22 pm

I posted this on another thread, but it may be relevant so I'll post it again. Here is a short article I wrote on rappel anchors on summitpost. It is not a how to, but attempts to look into some fundamental anchor setups.

Rappel Anchors: a few thoughts.

EDIT: Is there something specific you're trying to learn or focus on? Also, you say you want to be prepared for challenging scrambles. Do you have any specific routes in mind?
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby powhound » Fri May 10, 2013 11:27 pm

[ Is there something specific you're trying to learn or focus on? Also, you say you want to be prepared for challenging scrambles. Do you have any specific routes in mind?[/quote]

PM sent

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri May 10, 2013 11:46 pm

Dave learned something last week.

Dave learned that when you let a girl from Missouri belay you at Shelf Road, it is always best to rap, rather than have her lower you.

Fortunately, Dave is still alive.

:-D

(Love you, bro!)

Postby Steve Climber » Sat May 11, 2013 7:17 am

+1 to Brian C rappel article. Good read with excellent info. He has also been awesome to climb with as a novice to trad climbing. Very patient and willing to answer lots of my stupid questions :oops:
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby forbins_mtn » Sat May 11, 2013 7:21 am

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Dave learned something last week.

Dave learned that when you let a girl from Missouri belay you at Shelf Road, it is always best to rap, rather than have her lower you.

Fortunately, Dave is still alive.

:-D

(Love you, bro!)

I took my girlfriend down to New Mexico last weekend to go climbing. She's still pretty new so I needed to really teach her how to belay me. Wow. We started on a 5.4 and that was the scariest damned 5.4 I've ever done! I basically down climbed as she lowered me. That little stinker weighs nothing! She did great though. She's a champion at making a belay anchor after that weekend

But powhound - I'd hit some rock tomorrow around Golden if you wanna drive up here. It's supposed to be 71 and sunny and I have all afternoon off. Golden Cliffs we can set up top ropes and rappel a ton very easily, and I need to start leading some routes. I just bought a bunch of trad gear that needs some love

Postby SolarAlex » Sat May 11, 2013 7:36 am

hey forbin i live right near n table....if you ever want a climbing partner shoot me a PM. Im a pretty useless climber but i can belay like a champ haha.

Postby Steve Climber » Sat May 11, 2013 7:52 am

TJ, I'm looking at climbing something tomorrow too. Was originally thinking about soloing some stuff in Flatirons, or possibly joining with group in Eldo if they are good with a 3rd...If Eldo doesn't pan out (should know by this afternoon), I'd be down to meet up with you. PM sent with number.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby powhound » Sat May 11, 2013 9:08 am

forbins_mtn wrote:But powhound - I'd hit some rock tomorrow around Golden if you wanna drive up here. It's supposed to be 71 and sunny and I have all afternoon off. Golden Cliffs we can set up top ropes and rappel a ton very easily, and I need to start leading some routes. I just bought a bunch of trad gear that needs some love

Forbins,
Thanks for the offer, however I'll be skiing Pikes tomorrow morning/afternoon, then Mother's Day commitments after. Maybe another time? I'll shoot you a PM when I get a chance, gotta run now.

Postby forbins_mtn » Sat May 11, 2013 11:08 am

SolarAlex wrote:hey forbin i live right near n table....if you ever want a climbing partner shoot me a PM. Im a pretty useless climber but i can belay like a champ haha.

I'm in! And I'm not a ridiculously awesome climber by any means. 5.9-5.10 is my realm but I love to climb

Next