Columbia West Slopes Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Columbia West Slopes Conditions

Post by zdero1 »

Hey all- I'm looking to go up Columbia's standard route this weekend. I was wondering if anyone had beta on N Cottonwood Creek TH approach, Hike in to Horn Fork Basin, and the west slopes of Columbia. Most of the avy concerns pertain to NW to NE slopes. Looking for input here as I'm on the fence about attempting this on Sunday. Your help is most appreciated. Stay safe this weekend!
zdero1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Columbia West Slopes Conditions

Post by zdero1 »

bumparooski.

Any info about the ridge route would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

Mike
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

Mike,

Sorry I have no clue what the conditions are up there.. but I would recommend doing the Southeast ridge, I am guessing there will be a lot of snow in the trees but once on the ridge you should be good. The Southeast ridge is an awesome route for Columbia, if you have any questions about the route feel free to pm me.

Good luck,
Dan
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
Colorado29
14ers: 58 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Colorado29 »

If you do this please let me know how it is as I may do it next Saturday/Sunday.... deciding on Columbia or Princeton. Thanks and good luck!
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

There is a lot of new snow in the area. It is still snowing heavily in Buena Vista today. For Columbia, I would definitely go the SE ridge route. Horn Fork will be full of deep, soft snow and there could be avy danger on the standard route. For Princeton, I would follow the ridge over "Tigger" to avoid the steep snow chutes on the north face which could be tricky to cross after this week's snows.

Good luck,
Dave
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

Anyone know if the road is still blocked off down below the Harvard Lakes TH?
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
zdero1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

Thx Dave and Dan for the advice. I agree 100%. I'd like to do the ridge route but I'd be solo and concerned with navigation through the forest when going in the dark. I ended up taking a Saturday shift at work and will try and head for a peak on my short list May 23-24. I usually post a conditions report for any peak that I've done. Have fun and be safe for anyone heading for the hills this weekend.
zdero1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

Bumping this again as I'd like to make an attempt this Friday. If anyone has a conditions update on Columbia's SE ridge or West Slopes route please let me know. My plan as of now is to camp just prior to Horn Fork Basin off the standard route, get an early start and try for the summit.