Denali Early Season Climb

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
shearmodulus
14ers: 18  1  1 
Trip Reports (6)

Denali Early Season Climb

Post by shearmodulus »

Well, I'm headed up to Denali tomorrow! Flying in to Anchorage tomorrow afternoon (Wednesday the 8th of May), then Talkeetna on the 9th, flying to the glacier on the 10th.

Climbing with Alpine Ascents with a group plus three guides. Overnight lows above 14,000 feet has been around -7. Snow the last couple of days. A buddy of mine that climbs and lives in Anchorage says the snowpack has been setting up pretty good all winter and that it's been cold so the snow bridges should be in great condition.

We should summit sometime around the 26th and I should be back to Colorado no later than the 7th of June allowing for weather. As long as my camera doesn't freeze solid on me, I'll bring back plenty of pics and stories! (And hopefully all my toes and fingers).

Cheers!
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Denali Early Season Climb

Post by Scott P »

Good luck and have a great climb!
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Good luck! Hope the early season weather holds out for your AAI team!

I Man & SStratta (Matt & Sarah) are up there as well right now. I would guess they have flown to the glacier by now.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Awesome. Good luck to you!
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

Good luck! Iman's team is at 11K camp as of Tuesday evening. They flew onto the glacier on Sat.

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en& ... &z=12&om=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
snowypeaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by snowypeaks »

Have a safe climb!

Current NPS Climbing activity:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/c ... istics.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Number of Denali summits this year so far 0 . . . . :shock: oh crap
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Ryan, never fear, that # of summits number will get more & more positive as May goes on. Later May and into June typically has much better weather.