Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

If you climbed Little Bear 5/4

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

If you climbed Little Bear 5/4

Postby Boggy B » Mon May 06, 2013 8:39 pm

If you were in the party of four who went up LB on Saturday... here you are (from UN 13100):
DSC03943.JPG
DSC03943.JPG (263.57 KiB) Viewed 1286 times

I assume congrats are in order.

:-D

Re: If you climbed Little Bear 5/4

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue May 07, 2013 10:13 am

I was up there as part of a group of five Saturday. That looks like the West Ridge entrance gully, however, and we were well beyond that by the time the sun hit it. Another large group (also 5 folks) started very late; I think they mentioned being from Meetup.com. It's probably them. What time did you take this? Either way, cool shot and thanks for sharing.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Dex » Tue May 07, 2013 10:43 am

I have two questions:

1. What is the angle of that slope?

2. I that the proper way for a group to go up it? They seem close to me. If the lead person to falls he can take the followers with him.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Tue May 07, 2013 11:19 am

That looks about 40 degrees and that's standard operating procedure for couloir climbing.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue May 07, 2013 11:32 am

While it looks pretty steep from that angle, and probably is close to 40 in spots, a fall in that couloir would be pretty easy to stop right now since the snow surface is rough and not too slick. Here's a shot from the day before:

Yes, in days prior to this shot, climbers had been glissading that couloir. Not sure that was a good idea, though.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby seth0687 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:41 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Yes, in days prior to this shot, climbers had been glissading that couloir. Not sure that was a good idea, though.

When we climbed our whole group glissaded this Col from just about the top and I didn't think it was that much worse than glissading from the Grays/Torreys Saddle....Then again, I love me a good glissade :twisted: :shock: \:D/

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed May 08, 2013 6:53 am

You obviously had some good snow for that one!
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby Dex » Wed May 08, 2013 9:32 am

Thanks for the replies - I'm just wanting to learn.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby djkest » Wed May 08, 2013 9:51 am

So to be clear, this is not the hourglass gulley?
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby KeithK » Wed May 08, 2013 10:03 am

djkest wrote:So to be clear, this is not the hourglass gulley?

Correct... west ridge gulley.

I, too, glissaded that whole POS once upon a time. Cut my time from absurdly slow to just under absurdly slow. Who needs skis when you're shaped like a bowling ball?
Snow is dumb.™

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed May 08, 2013 10:03 am

djkest wrote:So to be clear, this is not the hourglass gulley?

Nope, this is the gully that takes you from Lake Como to the West Ridge. You then traverse the ridge a ways to the base of the Hourglass.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby bergsteigen » Wed May 08, 2013 10:12 am

KeithK wrote:Who needs skis when you're shaped like a bowling ball?

Oh Keith! While I was skiing down that slope that you glissaded, I remembered how fast you rocketed down that thing. I think you would have beat me to the bottom! Of course, I was enjoying myself and the good corn snow with my skis. \:D/
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Next