Need direction...day hikes off I-70

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hmelch
Trip Reports (0)

Need direction...day hikes off I-70

Post by hmelch »

Hi all,

I'm looking for some recommendations for great partial-day/day hikes located near I-70 between Denver and Grand Junction. I know it's a huge area, but we have a ton of flexibility. I'm just worried the snow may hamper some of the better hikes. We may give Quandary a go depending on the weather.

I'm not partial to 14ers/13ers, just looking for some epic trails/scenery. For example, we're going to check out Hanging Lake near Glenwood Springs.

Thanks in advance,
Howard
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Need direction...day hikes off I-70

Post by Dan_Suitor »

I’ve never done it, but I heard Mt. Garfield Trail in Grand Junction is fun. It’s lower in elevation so I’d assume snow should not be an issue.
Century Bound, eventually.
dnye
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dnye »

I always recommend Herman Gulch. Easy access, very scenic and there are 13ers in the valley if you want to get up high.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Pitkin Lake trail in Vail.
Make wilderness less accessible.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

Hermans Gulch; Watruous Gulch and Parnassas and Bard... If you are willing to venture slightly off I-70, head up Hwy 103 from Idaho Springs to West Chicago Creek TH, where you can hike into Hell's Hole and get Gray Wolf Mountain. Looping back on 103, you can do Squaw, Papoose and Chief Mountains if you aren't into the whole "big elevation" thing.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

The mentioned Mt Garfield is a good one, but even in May, get an early start. The trail is steep, faces directly south, and has no shade, so cool is good.

Rifle Arch is a good one near Rifle (Rifle Falls too) and Main Canyon is a good one if you like to see wild horses. None of these have snow right now.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
schrund
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by schrund »

The Storm King Mountain Firefighters Memorial Trail is barely off an exit just past Glenwood Springs - you can make it as long as you'd like depending on how much of the site you want to check out. And if you get curious and investigate a little, you might find the "hobo hot springs" nearby (but I won't spoil it by giving too much away :wink: .
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief
hmelch
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hmelch »

Great info guys....I'll definitely check out some of these hikes.

Open to more suggestions!
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Two of my favorites just off of I70, I liked them mainly because they are loop hikes that allow multiple summits:

The Citadel, Hagar, Golden Bear and Trelease : About 9 miles, 3800' http://coloradowilderness.weebly.com/6-28-2012.html

Bard, Parnassus, Woods and Machebeuf : About 11.25 miles, 5000' http://coloradowilderness.weebly.com/6-14-2012.html

--D
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

As for 14ers: Evans, Bierstadt, Grays&Torreys have trailheads about 20 minutes from I70.
hmelch
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hmelch »

jomagam wrote:As for 14ers: Evans, Bierstadt, Grays&Torreys have trailheads about 20 minutes from I70.
I'm just worried the snow may be too much. I have no snowshoes/ice axes/microspikes etc. and don't want to get myself into a bad situation. I was hoping to do Quandary, but the latest trail report shows a fair amount of snow still.

Any info on Grays/Torreys? Would they be doable with no snow gear next week?

Thanks
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

hmelch wrote:
jomagam wrote:As for 14ers: Evans, Bierstadt, Grays&Torreys have trailheads about 20 minutes from I70.
I'm just worried the snow may be too much. I have no snowshoes/ice axes/microspikes etc. and don't want to get myself into a bad situation. I was hoping to do Quandary, but the latest trail report shows a fair amount of snow still.

Any info on Grays/Torreys? Would they be doable with no snow gear next week?

Thanks
There will be snow at all high-elevation mountains - whether or not the trail requires traction or is sufficiently packed - don't bet on it.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus