Cristo Couloir

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
esagas
14ers: 46  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Cristo Couloir

Post by esagas »

Any info on conditions on Quandary's Cristo Couloir? Pics would be great!
Elliot
14ers: 24  24  1 
13ers: 65 49 1
Trip Reports (23)

Re: Cristo Couloir

Post by Elliot »

In and saw lots of traffic last weekend. Lots of new snow back there.
paxtonsnjones27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by paxtonsnjones27 »

The couloir is not skiable from the summit. You will have to hike down the rocks to the entrance, but no sweat. It gets some major cross loading especially half way down. I did not ski it because I didn't bring the necessary gear like an idiot. The couloir is very wide, and mellow. If you are confident about dealing with avy situations then you will not have any problems at all. However, it is awesome long, and one hell of a leg burner. Keep in mind I don't think you will have the easy ski down on the road. It is quite possible you will have to walk a long ways out on a muddy road. Maybe worth carrying some old shoes?
Elliot
14ers: 24  24  1 
13ers: 65 49 1
Trip Reports (23)

Post by Elliot »

pic from before yesterday's storm
Attachments
Cristo2.jpg
Cristo2.jpg (24.33 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
Glen
14ers: 38  1 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Glen »

I climbed it on the 30th and skied the east ridge. You can ski from the summit. There was some signs of wet slides in the center and along the road out. I would of liked to have been on the summit by 11 am the day we did it due to the amount of slush that was forming.
"I remember when I used to be into nostalgia."
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

I am interested in christo for 5/12 or 5/25-5/26 Please let me know conditions if you go for this route.

Also I am looking for partners for above dates. PM me if interested. Fair warning this is my first season snow climbing.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
esagas
Trip Reports (0)

Post by esagas »

Thanks for the info! I'm planning on doing it this Saturday.
jmc5040
14ers: 58  38  1 
13ers: 30 4 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jmc5040 »

Photos taken this morning...
Quandary South Face 2.jpg
Quandary South Face 2.jpg (285.37 KiB) Viewed 673 times
Quandary South Face.jpg
Quandary South Face.jpg (223.84 KiB) Viewed 673 times
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

http://berthoudpass.org/
realhillboarding
14ers: 58  15  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by realhillboarding »

I just got down from skiing the east ridge and snapped a few pics looking down cristo, I'll post them when I get home. I will say it was pretty wintry/slabby snow up high and there was quite a bit of wind loading, so I would be a bit hesitant to get in cristo before we get a good freeze thaw going to settle the new snow. I tend to be fairly conservative, so take that as you will...
esagas
Trip Reports (0)

Post by esagas »

realhillboarding wrote:I just got down from skiing the east ridge and snapped a few pics looking down cristo, I'll post them when I get home. I will say it was pretty wintry/slabby snow up high and there was quite a bit of wind loading, so I would be a bit hesitant to get in cristo before we get a good freeze thaw going to settle the new snow. I tend to be fairly conservative, so take that as you will...
Thanks for the advice. I think that I'm going to wait a few more days for the snow to settle. Anyway, please post the pics in order to get a better look at it.
realhillboarding
14ers: 58  15  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by realhillboarding »

Here are the pics - it looked a little bony in parts up top, but looked like you could trade a little P-tex for a continuous line \:D/

I tried to embed them, but uploaded them too big and don't have time to resize right now...

taken from the E ridge looking across cristo from ~13800' or so
http://www.14ers.com/images/userpics/20 ... 183226.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Taken from the E ridge looking up at the summit at around 13,800'
http://www.14ers.com/images/userpics/20 ... 3117_l.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

taken from the summit looking down cristo
http://www.14ers.com/images/userpics/20 ... 183628.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rleclair
14ers: 58 
13ers: 186
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rleclair »

*bump*

Any updates on Cristo Couloir conditions and the road to the dam? Looking to ascend it 5/26 EARLY...thx!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life..."
John Muir