Shavano Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Brimstone10
14ers: 40  2  3 
13ers: 9 2
Trip Reports (3)

Shavano Conditions

Post by Brimstone10 »

Just wanted to check if anyone has any info on the conditions on Mount Shavano. Looking at driving in tonight, camping and hitting the angel real early tomorrow morning.
bhaydin
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Shavano Conditions

Post by bhaydin »

You can check out this still active thread: http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 14#p480514" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like a great hike this weekend. Have fun!
gregpeak
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gregpeak »

I hiked up to the base of the Angel today. The first mile or so of the trail is clear but from then on it is snow covered. The trail to the Angel has had some traffic so there was no post holing. If you get off the trail you will post hole. The main trail past the cutoff to the angel has had no traffic and is snow covered. It is hard to find the trail and there will be a lot of post holing. The angel is in fine shape right now and it is easier to climb it than the normal trail. The angels left arm (climbers right) goes all the way to the east ridge. There is a band of snow from there that goes pretty near the summit.
I'm just glad I don't live in a trailer.
Jimmy Buffet
Brimstone10
14ers: 40  2  3 
13ers: 9 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Brimstone10 »

I'm standing at the base of the angel as we speak. It looks exactly like the picture in the thread referenced above.
bigmtnmike
14ers: 14 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bigmtnmike »

I did a solo up Shavano yesterday-had the mountain completely to myself. Weather was perfect, almost no wind. Not too many issues navigating through the forest despite the fact that the main trail was completely covered with 2.5 in of snow from the last storm. It took me roughly 4 hours to summit and much less to descend as I was assisted by my snowboard. I dropped in around 11 am but I felt I could have waited maybe 15 or 20 more minutes to let the snow soften up just a little more. Snow was very nice though...some of the nicest spring corn I've ridden this year!

You may want some kind of flotation for your hike out in the afternoon if you don't bring up skis or a snowboard. If you want to ski the angel NOW is the time to do it. I bet that that the snow will start rapidly melting in the next few weeks. Enjoy!