Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

!!! Shoplifter at Neptune !!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: !!! Shoplifter at Neptune !!!

Postby Jesse M » Thu May 02, 2013 6:14 pm

Ok, okay, it was a nice thought by Livetothemax96. Never change this part of you livetothemax! I want more people like you in this world.

Postby my5sons » Thu May 02, 2013 9:16 pm

livetothemax96 wrote:Hey,

Since I think that it's a forgone conclusion that Neptune will probably not get it's boots back, and even if they do they won't be able to sell them because they have gotten stolen and worn. So how about we put together a fundraiser to help them get their money back. My uncle owns a small business and $1000 is make or break sometimes, and while I realize that Neptune is successful, $1000 is still $1000. Sound like a good idea to anyone?

liveto the max, I'm in business and it was a very slow month in March. 8-[ Had a customer refuse to pay me after a job was completed with a balance due of 1200.00. I had planned on buying a tent and sleeping pad and a few other things, but now I can't. :( I would be willing to even take some used gear if you have any! :wink:

Postby CorduroyCalves » Thu May 02, 2013 9:27 pm

dpage wrote:I really feel like giving to Neptune or Enron or whoever else is completely absurd when my truck needs a transmission. That $1000 could go a looonnngggg way to ensuring my health and mental well being throughout the summer. I'm pretty certain Neptune has moved on by now and we must take up the new cause of saving my truck.

Neptune has. . . the 14ers.com community has not. :-k
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Postby dmccool » Thu May 02, 2013 9:40 pm

Since I think that it's a forgone conclusion that Neptune will probably not get it's boots back, and even if they do they won't be able to sell them because they have gotten stolen and worn. So how about we put together a fundraiser to help them get their money back. My uncle owns a small business and $1000 is make or break sometimes, and while I realize that Neptune is successful, $1000 is still $1000. Sound like a good idea to anyone?

Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby zdero1 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:12 pm

The responses to livetothemax's post are funny and I have the same line of thought here, but I do want to point out that he's 16 years old.

I appreciate the idealism. Let's take it easy on him. I'm sure this person will have a more comprehensive view of just how s****y this world is in a few years. Let's not speed up the process!

Also...Jesus, Dan :P

Postby dmccool » Thu May 02, 2013 10:27 pm

zdero1 wrote: but I do want to point out that he's 16 years old.
Crap. Then I guess he hasn't seen Billy Madison, huh? But seriously, misguided assholishness aside, just watch that clip a couple times. It never gets old.
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby hotrod » Fri May 03, 2013 7:21 am

Livetothemax, I admire your compassion (seriously). May you always have empathy for others' problems.
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.

Postby Steve Climber » Fri May 03, 2013 7:32 am

hotrod wrote:Livetothemax, I admire your compassion (seriously). May you always have empathy for others' problems.

+1

"Never underestimate the power of the internet, to crush youthful optimism." ~Abraham Lincoln
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby awilbur77 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:32 am

If you really want to raise money for someone who needs it. There are dozens of charities that would benefit more from this type of effort. I'm not wasting my time raising money for a business even if it isn't one of the corporate giants. I say they should just learn the lesson of "keep an eye on the guy with $1000 boots on his feet".
"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Hellen Keller

Postby Fisching » Fri May 03, 2013 2:24 pm

Fletch wrote:You will learn the evils of capitalism soon enough... and if you can think of a way to improve on capitalism, you'll likely have a Nobel Prize waiting for you...

Cue Rustic-like responses in 3...2...1...
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby TallGrass » Fri May 03, 2013 7:41 pm

"One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results."
-- Milton Friedman who did get a Nobel prize regarding capitalism.

Reminds me of this gem between yet-to-be-filmmaker Michael Moore (3:50 for the distillation):

Or "equalizing" the loss from the theft from the store to more parties (users of an unrelated website) is the better remedy for the thief's actions (vs. e.g. making the thief accountable):
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby klinger » Sat May 04, 2013 1:42 am

So who exactly is the victim here?

I applaud this Robin Hood.

You don't know what he did with those boots.

Maybe Karma isn't waiting to strike this man, but in fact it was completing a cycle with the very action of theft!

Any teenagers who want to send me a check for a grand, I have a short video and a good story.

People sure do make alot of assumptions that they have all the good and bad figured out in the world ](*,)

At least locating in Boulder is preventative enough to keep me from come stealing their shiz, I heard you can take whatever you can wear.

TY Interwebs.

PreviousNext