Angel of Shavano/Blank Gulch

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mountainfreak4465
Trip Reports (0)

Angel of Shavano/Blank Gulch

Post by Mountainfreak4465 »

Hey everybody,
I'm planning a trip up To Shavano, in a week or so and am looking for current conditions. I read a route from a Dawson's guide up Blank Gulch but don't see it listed on this site. Is that trailhead still an option and if so, has anyone been up there recently? Has anyone Skied the Angel recently and can give me updated trail and ski conditions? Thanks a bunch.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Angel of Shavano/Blank Gulch

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Blank Cabin trailhead was renamed to Shavano/Tabeguache TH a few years back.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
shaunster_co
14ers: 40  3  3 
13ers: 51 9
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Angel of Shavano/Blank Gulch

Post by shaunster_co »

Was up there yesterday (4/29), there is continuous snow - although it was melting fast. On the trail, it is dry until about the point the winter route diverges from the standard route. On the Angel itself though the snow is good. Here are a few pics from yesterday.
Angel 4.29.13
Angel 4.29.13
1.jpg (53.96 KiB) Viewed 435 times
Angel - at the apron
Angel - at the apron
2.jpg (77.46 KiB) Viewed 435 times