Glacier, Yellowstone, and Tetons - hike recommendations

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LTbear
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Glacier, Yellowstone, and Tetons - hike recommendations

Post by LTbear »

I'm taking a trip to Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Glacier in 3 weeks and would like some recommendations on hikes and campsites. I realize it's early in the year but this is th eonly time my friend and I could work it out.

Any insight, advice, etc is appreciated. I went to the Tetons two years ago and Yellowstone and Glacier a decade ago, but I haven't done any realy hiking or camping in Yellowstone and Glacier.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Glacier, Yellowstone, and Tetons - hike recommendations

Post by peter303 »

I experienced two snowstorms in Yellowstone during Memorial Day weekend 2011. They would close the northeast part of the loop and east entrance first - those being the highest parts. Otherwise the villages in the park that were open were full. Not everything opens until July 1.
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

There are a surprising number of class 3-4 routes in the Tetons, most of which are listed in Rossiter's Teton Scrambles. The East facing gullies will probably still be iffy, but the ridge scrambles will be in great shape.

For Paintbrush/Cascade, you will definitely need snowshoes in the next 3 weeks (prob. till June).
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
ptyrg
14ers: 34  4 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ptyrg »

The east side of glacier, tends to have less snow, than the west side. Two medicine trail, cut bank trail, and many glacier trail, are all on that side. Also check summitpost.org, There are a handful of people, on the sight, that live in the glacier area, and can tell you the conditions, in the mountains. The east side of the Tetons (Alaska Basin) is an awesome hike!! Devils staircase,and The ice caves, are in that area. Will be snow covered for sure.
Kruck
14ers: 7 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kruck »

Couple of things:
Remember that Yellowstone and it's environs got sequestered. Call ahead for road reports. Cody and Jack$on chamber ponied up to plow their entrances on time. Not true everywhere. For example, our pass (beartooth) will be closed in WY at state line until about June 13, mas o menos, when it's usually open memorial day. Positive: very nice and quiet skiing/snowshoeing from state line or the international ski race camp for a few weeks. Negative: you ain't getting in or out the northeast.
Wit that said, a classic hike that will more than likely be snow covered and a ton of fun is Avalanche Peak on the east side of Y'stone. Fairly simple, straightforward, "easy." stay out of the big bowl and you'll be fine. Could find variable conditions and big snow. Epic views of the park on clear days. Can be a little busy early season, mostly with concessioneer kids, who tend to be pretty laid back.
Sausage, mushroom, and green pepper