Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Glacier, Yellowstone, and Tetons - hike recommendations

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Glacier, Yellowstone, and Tetons - hike recommendations

Postby LTbear » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:12 am

I'm taking a trip to Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Glacier in 3 weeks and would like some recommendations on hikes and campsites. I realize it's early in the year but this is th eonly time my friend and I could work it out.

Any insight, advice, etc is appreciated. I went to the Tetons two years ago and Yellowstone and Glacier a decade ago, but I haven't done any realy hiking or camping in Yellowstone and Glacier.

Re: Glacier, Yellowstone, and Tetons - hike recommendations

Postby peter303 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:06 pm

I experienced two snowstorms in Yellowstone during Memorial Day weekend 2011. They would close the northeast part of the loop and east entrance first - those being the highest parts. Otherwise the villages in the park that were open were full. Not everything opens until July 1.

Postby Dex » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:04 pm

A few years back I did the Cascade/Paintbrush loop - 19 mi took the boat - in one day. There was snow when I got to Solitude lake so I had to snow shoe some parts and then when I was going down Paintbrush. Take Cascade to Paintbrush - gentle to Solitude then steep up and over the mt to go down Paintbrush. There are similarities to 14ers. Bring snow shoes, ice axe and shoes you can kick step with.

http://enjoyyourparks.com/PaintbrushCascadeTetonTrail.html

You will have to check with the park for what areas are open to camp.

One issue at Glacier is parking. Scope out the trail heads on your first day there and get there early. Then again it might not be a problem for you this time of year. There are RV parks outside most of the main entrances and camping inside the park - if they are open.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby screeman57 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:17 pm

There are a surprising number of class 3-4 routes in the Tetons, most of which are listed in Rossiter's Teton Scrambles. The East facing gullies will probably still be iffy, but the ridge scrambles will be in great shape.

For Paintbrush/Cascade, you will definitely need snowshoes in the next 3 weeks (prob. till June).
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby ptyrg » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:10 am

The east side of glacier, tends to have less snow, than the west side. Two medicine trail, cut bank trail, and many glacier trail, are all on that side. Also check summitpost.org, There are a handful of people, on the sight, that live in the glacier area, and can tell you the conditions, in the mountains. The east side of the Tetons (Alaska Basin) is an awesome hike!! Devils staircase,and The ice caves, are in that area. Will be snow covered for sure.

Postby Kruck » Thu May 02, 2013 6:45 am

Couple of things:
Remember that Yellowstone and it's environs got sequestered. Call ahead for road reports. Cody and Jack$on chamber ponied up to plow their entrances on time. Not true everywhere. For example, our pass (beartooth) will be closed in WY at state line until about June 13, mas o menos, when it's usually open memorial day. Positive: very nice and quiet skiing/snowshoeing from state line or the international ski race camp for a few weeks. Negative: you ain't getting in or out the northeast.
Wit that said, a classic hike that will more than likely be snow covered and a ton of fun is Avalanche Peak on the east side of Y'stone. Fairly simple, straightforward, "easy." stay out of the big bowl and you'll be fine. Could find variable conditions and big snow. Epic views of the park on clear days. Can be a little busy early season, mostly with concessioneer kids, who tend to be pretty laid back.
Sausage, mushroom, and green pepper