Anyone been up Bear/S. Boulder lately?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
chrismjx
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (1)

Anyone been up Bear/S. Boulder lately?

Post by chrismjx »

Does anyone know what the trail is like up to Bear Peak? I assume Fern Canyon probably has a lot of snow (Shadow too), but what about the W Ridge trail? Doable without snowshoes? Hopefully we don't pick up much more new accumulation from this storm they're calling for tomorrow night. (So ready for summer)
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Anyone been up Bear/S. Boulder lately?

Post by Sugar Madison »

An absolute sloppy mess. No snowshoes (you never really need snowshoes for these, barring first tracks in the rare 3' storm), but microspikes handy to keep from slip-n-sliding all the way down it. Mesa Trail is a river. It's all melting fast though...
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Last I was up there, both Shadow Canyon and South Boulder Peak were closed because of the fire from last year. Check the trailhead signs if you're wanting to go up that way.
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

Yah, most of Shadow Canyon and S Boulder Peak are still closed. http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.ph ... =411#trail Looks like late summer to re-open Shadow Canyon. :cry:
chrismjx
Trip Reports (1)

Post by chrismjx »

I was hoping for Bear Peak via Fern Canyon or West Ridge, or a loop of both, but with the storm predicted for tomorrow night I think its a lost cause anyway... Thanks for the info!
chrismjx
Trip Reports (1)

Post by chrismjx »

Ummm... What about now? :lol:
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Fern Canyon was icy this morning, probably slushy in the PM. Bear West ridge had some snow near the top, but I didn't use microspikes on the way down.
S Boulder Peak still closed, but we're doing trail maintenance in Shadow next week in hopes of it opening soon.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
chrismjx
Trip Reports (1)

Post by chrismjx »

I can report firsthand that the Bear Canyon > Bear Peak West Ridge trail is in pretty darn good shape. Few and far between snow on the trail, some mud and running water in places, but overall it was a great hike! I heard from a couple that came up Fern Canyon that it was still pretty messy, wet, slushy, etc. so we didn't try it. Bottom line: Bear Peak is open and the trail is clear!