Five killed in Loveland Pass Avalanche

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

Re: Five killed in Loveland Pass Avalanche

Post by Nelson »

I ski cut almost everything.
sgladbach
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 710 37
Trip Reports (29)

Post by sgladbach »

I hope this thread veers more toward a one that is respectful of the survivor, the familes and friends of all those traumitized.

Useful analysis can not be accomplished by a "discussion" in this format. I'm certain that the scenario will be a significant part of future Avy classes or textbooks after the experts have gone through the data.

Now is the time to be vigilant with the lessons we've already been taught as a respectful acknowledgement that good men, loving fathers, family members, and friends have passed.
Last edited by sgladbach on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
mtnfiend
14ers: 34  14  2 
13ers: 181 58 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtnfiend »

It's unfortunate that what they thought was a safe zone turned out to not be that safe for the size of slide that was released - This will definitely make me reevaluate what I consider safe zones on future trips into the BC. I wonder what the outcome would have been had the safe zone been another 20 feet into the trees? Or had they decided to traverse straight across the gulley to the more west facing terrain instead of basically paralleling the gully?
Nelson wrote:I ski cut almost everything.
Not to be a total jerk, but you do know how ridiculous that makes you sound, right?
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

http://exploringtherockies.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.berthoudpass.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
@snow_nerd
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

Comment Removed.
Last edited by rickinco123 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

rickinco123 wrote:Hopefully you feel better about yourself now.

????? A little Passive-Aggressive there?

Certainly, there is nothing self centered about trying to learn from an accident. I think the point here is that there is a difference between a constructive discussion to learn to be more safe and an insensitive critique of five experienced men who passed away in a terrible accident.

Unfortunately, it seems like whenever these things happen, this site gravitates toward the latter.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

I certainly hope my comment didn't come across as accusatory or disrespectful, I truly am interested to know the thought process that led to this incident. If that was they way it was taken, my deepest apologies. I have nothing but respect for the five that died and am very sad for those they left behind.
Make wilderness less accessible.
rickinco123
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

Dave B wrote:
I've also been trying to wrap my head around how so many experienced people could make this mistake.

I think the problem lies more in the fact that they weren't trying to ski the slope as much as traverse it.
From poking around the web, 2 other boarders came up and avoided that trapment area altogether, they were some of the early rescuers. Coming in from the top of the pass is also an obvious option. They were already aware of the danger present with their chosen path which is evident by their decision to spread out and to agree on a safe zone. Hopefully we can get more information from the survivor about the decision making process that led them to try and skirt the boundaries of the runout path instead of take other options. This was an avalanche safety event and they did not chose to take the safest path. I think being so close to the road may have played a negative influence on their thought process.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

rickinco123 wrote: Hopefully we can get more information from the survivor about the decision making process that led them to try and skirt the boundaries of the runout path instead of take other options. This was an avalanche safety event and they did not chose to take the safest path.
Just about anyone who has spent time in the backcountry has done exactly what they did, and got lucky. I know I have, and I'm one of the more conservative backcountry tourers out there. I truly hope that many will learn from this tragedy - I certainly have.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

Bean wrote: Just about anyone who has spent time in the backcountry has done exactly what they did, and got lucky. I know I have, and I'm one of the more conservative backcountry tourers out there. I truly hope that many will learn from this tragedy - I certainly have.
I spent some time alone at the Sheep Creek site yesterday and reflected on my likely thought process had I been with the group. I can't say I would have done too much differently. It was not a probable event. The tendency is to pick out small things after a tragedy that make us feel like it will be less likely to happen to us. The reality is that we will all continue to make a variety of mistakes, and the smallest one in the backcountry can have huge consequences. The only avenue to completely learn your way out of mountain risk is to learn to stay at home.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vardo
14ers: 40 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vardo »

I believe that events planned on a far out date in which no one knows what the conditions will be and inviting people who are not locals and the planned activity is backcountry skiing and snowboarding is just a bad idea. how did that snowboarding comp in Montezuma basin work out last year?

the outdoor sports culture is such a scene now, expect more of this. Mixing your social life and extreme sports is dangerous.

Backcountry skiing and snowboarding is an anomaly compared to other mountaineering activities in that you can get lucky for a REaaaallllllly long time, all the while you think you are becoming experienced...
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

RoanMtnMan wrote:I can't say I would have done too much differently. It was not a probable event.
Like others on this forum, I have also wondered how this could happen to veteran backcountry travellers who were very smart, seasoned, and experienced. It doesn't seem like there is an explanation, other than that this was just an extreme and improbable event. They followed the correct procedures, left a reasonable amout of spacing between each other, and gear-wise, could not have been any more prepared. Obviously they knew there was a risk on that slope, but I don't think anybody can anticipate something as big as what occurred up there. We can all try to minimize risk by being prepared and educated, thorough analysis, and using proper gear, but there is a limit to what human beings (and the things that we design) can withstand. I'm not familiar with how to grade avalanches, but this seems comparable to an F-5 tornado or a Category 5 hurricane. Extremely unlikely, and probably not survivable if you get caught in it. We can, and should, prepare for adverse circumstances. But we can't go around living our lives, and basing decisions on, the possibility of the most extreme possible adverse event occurring; otherwise, none of us would ever leave our living rooms.
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11
rickinco123
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

I filled out the Avaluator card below with the data from this incident. I left out the "whumpfing" since that did not occur until the event, this should really be a 6. Notice there are no mitigating factors on this card which can also be viewed as rationalizations. I have had this card for about 6 years, there is an updated version out now I intend to buy. This is perfect for people like me who do not get out into the backcountry often.