Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski mountaineering project page (photos)

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Ski mountaineering project page (photos)

Postby George James » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:22 pm

It's a stop on the Teton line of the send train, somewhere between here and Shralptown
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby Presto » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:38 pm

I'm not a skier of peaks (okay, maybe in my dreams), but this webcam shot has always caught my eye .... (sorry the quality is so poor today).
Attachments
mtlamborn.jpg
mtlamborn.jpg (33.75 KiB) Viewed 792 times
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby milehighfive » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:24 pm

McHenry's Notch Couloir on Mt. Powell. 50+ degrees at the top. Might need a few more years of seasoning before this is in range for me, but it's a nice dream.
Attachments
10_McHenrysNotchCouloir.jpg
10_McHenrysNotchCouloir.jpg (102.55 KiB) Viewed 681 times
You gotta look fast to go fast.

Postby gb » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:27 pm

yeah, I know this is for future projects, but after some unsuccessful tries over the years, I was pretty stoked to ski the hometown line last weekend.

http://14erskiers.com/blog/2013/04/terminator-3-couloir-4-21-13/

Postby jmc5040 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:43 pm

[quote="gb"]yeah, I know this is for future projects, but after some unsuccessful tries over the years, I was pretty stoked to ski the hometown line last weekend.

Must feel good to finally accomplish that line. I read the TR, very well done!
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby gb » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:12 pm

Would like to give this one a go sometime, possibly soon:

Postby Presto » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:00 pm

I'm sure this guy has done it ...

http://www.skisickness.com/

And, Jason (and probably Josh) too ...

http://www.cascadecrusades.org/

Be forewarned ... you will lose track of time when reading these trip reports. 8)
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby gb » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:18 pm

^^ That's the site I linked and where I stole the photo from :)

Sky is a good dude, and talented. Super impressed at the missions he and his buddies have done.

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:59 pm

Hmm seems everyone is liking the San Juoquin Line. Thing is absolutly beautiful. Not very steep for sure, high 40s at the very top, but a must. Also highly recommend the full traverse around to Palmyra (the ridge to Palmyra is super unique) but that wouldn't work if you guys want to ski the line. Heads up, San Juoquin line doesn't top at the "summit" of the San Juoqin 13er, its a little ways off.
Attachments
P1040006.jpg
This basin was one of my favorite in CO so far
P1040006.jpg (328.31 KiB) Viewed 336 times
P1040023.jpg
San Juoqin
P1040023.jpg (329.32 KiB) Viewed 336 times
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:04 pm

Same trip from above, got the Luttrell line on Diente also! If you haven't heard of this line you should probably kill yourself (haha just kidding). Stellar line.

Heres a video Autin Made if you like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVDfCGtC9_w

By the way, not a skier but always follow you guys cause you know the lines. Can't believe I just stumbled on the thread!! #-o
Attachments
P1030942.jpg
AP snow shreding the Fox
P1030942.jpg (333.33 KiB) Viewed 326 times
P1030934.jpg
Traversing the Fox
P1030934.jpg (335.86 KiB) Viewed 326 times
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:09 pm

This face continues to haunt me, for years now. To my knowledge it remains without a ski descent in spite of my meager attempt. Central Asia.

Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby gb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:59 pm

^^^ Couldn't help but notice a bit of similarity to Afley. Bit closer to home if that would help your haunting :)
Quality line regardless

PreviousNext